Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Help ! - Camshaft Bearing Caps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevrl  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope that one of you can help me, i've managed to crack the 3 center camshaft bearing caps ...yeah yeah , I know it was really stupid, but that what you get for changing a camshaft at night by torchlight. The problem now is that when I try to buy 2nd had ones people keep telling me that they are matched to the cylinder head is this true ?? , can I only buy them if I buy a complete head ??

The part numbers are all the same 056.103.459 , but they each have an additional code on them 4g , 4h , and 4i Is this the clearences ?? , has any one got a 4g, 4h, or 4i that they would be willing to part with ?

Kevin
Peter  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,
My suggestion is to get used cam bearing caps and have a machine shop align bore the cam bearing caps. The process, as I understand it, is to shave the bottoms of the caps where they come together, then the caps are installed and torqued to spec, then the shop rebores and aligns the opening where the cam is installed. You have a new to spec opening for the cam to be installed into.
For more info, go to your local Borders, Barnes & Nobles, etc and look up align boring in any performance engine building book then talk to your machine shop.
-Peter
Joes924  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter .. That was handled magnificiently.

**bravo bravo - my man**
larso  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some cam caps if you want...

Yeah if you can get them machined go for it, they wear with your cam and the head together so if oyu try and mix and match it may not work without some luck, you might have an oil pressure problem more than anything else.
kevrl  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

Looks like i'm going to have to take the head off then to get the bearings line bored.

Lars, i'm going to try and get some cam caps closer to home (UK), but if i'm unsuccessful then i'll be in touch in a couple of days.

Thanks again

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: