Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Digital Control Pressure Regulator
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epsylon  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Digital Control Pressure Regulator Reply with quote

It has been a while and I have since moved to the 928 model. Still have my 931 but it is going to be sold sometime in the future. But I thought I would share a neat product I found for my 928 that I just recently installed. My 928 shares the same CIS fuel system and I know how crazy it can be to deal with sometimes.

Product URL:
http://www.unwiredtools.com/utcis.asp

I am in no way affiliated with this company.

The product offering supports 3 stages, each one costs a little more.

1. UTCIS-G Warm Up Cycle and Fixed Control Pressure
2. UTCIS-V Warm Up Cycle, Control Pressure Mapped to Manifold Pressure
3. UTCIS-PT Warm Up Cycle, Control Pressure Mapped to Manifold
Pressure over 1 Bar ( for turbos ), Control Pressure Mapped to RPM

Unless
you are having WUR problems or have modified your motor and need more
fuel I don't think it would be of much practical use.

Essentially it replaces the Bosch warm up regulator on CIS cars with
a programmable control pressure regulator. It mounts in the same
location as the WUR with the addition of a ECU that I mounted on the
left inner fender in front of the coil on my 928. I can program the control
pressures during warm up cycle ( from 0c to 40c ) and also the control
pressures after warm up with manifold pressure ( .4 to 1 bar ) via my
laptop. Right now I am using the factory control pressure specs from
the warm up regulator. But this product allows me to adjust for
better WOT ( probably need a wide band sensor to really mess with this
). If I lived in a place where the climate varied dramatically I
could adjust the warm cycle as needed. Monitoring the control
pressure and manifold pressure is as easy as plugging in the serial
cable into my laptop. This price is a little on the high side but
compared to a new WUR it is cheaper. If anyone wants pictures of it installed on my 928 let me know.
South Padre Island
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, I think we're all very interested! Pix please! If you don't have a place to host 'em, send me a PM and I'll put 'em up for you.

I'd like to get a feel for how you tuned it. Did they provide you with a default 928 fuel map? Did you tune on the dyno? Did you use a wide band setup? As much info as you can provide would be very interesting to the community I think.

Thanks for posting...it's very timely!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, in the interests of cost, I will probably just modify my stock WUR to be adjustable - does anyone have those directions on how to do it?

Of course, in my case, I'll point out that dyno tuning is required; not only do I have a header and other (substantial) engine work, I also have to get every last ounce of HP out of the car. So it really is necessary to dial in the AFR, and 11.5 vs 11.8 I think really does matter!!
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this thing mounted the CIS is transformed into some sort of single control point EFI...i mean...i bet it offeres good enough control for a slightly moded street car ! This thing mounted on an S2 engine with a Lambda probe is not far away from a good EFI. I love the fact that i dont have to rearange the engine bay and throw most of the things away.

Sounds briliant! i will buy one for sure sometime in the summer...maby they'll drop the price a bit by then too.
epsylon  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. I think it is a happy medium between mechanical ( heated metal and spring ) control and EFI. The unit gives very percise control over the control pressure ( to .1 bar or 1.4 PSI ) where as the WUR could be slightly different everytime you run your car. Another thing to consider about the WUR is after years of use they learn certain positions. The metal strip and springs become used to resting in specific positions which might not be correct. You are right in that you either need a DYNO or a wideband AFR monitor to really use the UTCIS to its potential. As of right now my 928 is configed to the match the factory specs of the WUR. Once I am able to monitor AFR I will be tuning things more. Keep in mind that simply adding more fuel doesn't always mean more HP. The UTCIS should help to achive better WOT AFR conditions and combine this with advancing the timing you should be able to get a little HP. More over peice of mind that everything is running the way you like it.

Bosch WUR

UTCIS Fuel Control Unit

UTCIS ECU ( Black Box on fender in front of coil )

Beauty Shot for Good Measure

South Padre Island
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent stuff, confirms a lot of what's been speculated. Thx a ton for the pix. I have a 928 as well, so this could be a great addition to it as well as the 931 projects.

I'm very interested to hear your reports regarding its longevity. I was impressed with the fact that it comes with a 5 year warranty. How long have you been running with this setup? Did you get a default map from them, or did you have to start from scratch? How did you determine the stock WUR settings in order to program it into the UTCIS? How has their technical support been in terms of answering any questions, dealing with any issues, etc?
epsylon  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only been running with it for about 2 weeks. I will keep the board updated on its performance.

The unit ships with a map which is supposed to be a sort of starter universal map. Your car should start and idle with what is shipped. In order to program the unit it needs power. You could probably do this on a test bench if you really wanted to before installing. I used the 928 factory workshop manual and created a map in the software to emulate the WUR before installing the UTCIS. This way I would have it ready to upload. The first time I started the car I let the car warm up using whatever settings were on the UTCIS and then uploaded my map to the UTCIS. The manual states to upload maps during idle becuase the unit breifly stops monitoring input while uploading ( takes less than a second to upload ). IE, whatever control pressure it has just before the upload will hold until the upload is finshed. So if you were driving the unit would not respond to manifold pressure changes during the upload and the same with temperature changes during warm up.

They have been very good about responding to my email questions. I have only had a question about the vacuum connection and the default map shipped with the unit. The company does not appear to be large, maybe a handful of people I am guessing.
South Padre Island
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a somewhat informative discussion from a Mercedes forum on the UTCIS:
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=215390
epsylon  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like they had a earlier version of this product as the one i installed does not have a pressure gauge built into it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M/POR_911M_FULcis_pg11.htm
South Padre Island
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...nice markup too...
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant wait to get that puppy on my car !
epsylon  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far so good. no issues to report. side note, i have purchased a innovate lc-1 wide band monitor. i am hoping get the o2 bung welded in before this weekend so i can play with afr tuning. stay tuned.
South Padre Island
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice ! have they dropped the price yet?
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...i'm buying one.

only one aspect i havent seen covered....so maby epsylon knows more about this..

You can see in the picture below that you can set the control pressure vs MAP on 250 RPM ranges...however i did not find how they solved the vacum issue...i mean if you look at the MAP scale it starts from 0.4 bar...and at 5000 RPM you could not expect to have any less but what about at 2000 rpm where the pressure is not +0.x bar but -0.x bar...does the scale change when you select a lower RPM range?
http://unwiredtools.com/images/ptmap.jpg

thanks.
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump.....anyone ?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: