Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

CGT Intercooler Finally Installed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maybe924  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: CGT Intercooler Finally Installed Reply with quote

I finally decided that it would be a travesty for me not to pop the CGT Intercooler on. As much as I like the stock look of the 931 I felt it was my duty to install this sucker and punch a hole in the hood. I struggled with the sheer ugliness of the 931 NACA duct and CGT hood scoop sitting right next to each other. The stock 931 is a sleek and beautiful car, a hood scoop certainly does not improve upon its good looks. But... they need to be cooled, period. What do you think the legacy of the 931 would have been if it had been cooled? The only thing that stopped it was the darn 911SC not being powerful enough... the 931 would have eclipsed its performance. Sadly hot turbos are not nearly as fun as cold ones soo without thinking on it any further, I decided the time had most definitely come.

My car with Phonies waiting for me to sand and paint the Cookie Cutters.

Supplies. Includes brass elbows to divert and extend the control line.

Put a 90 degree elbow and extension on the control line to get it around to the exhaust side.

The CGT unit just bolts right in. A little fussing with a bracket and some o-ring and gasket refreshes and she's on.

Lastly, I just needed to connect up the control line to the intercooler. An elbow and boost controller inline make it nice and neat.

Tomorrow I'll be cutting a hole in the hood and installing the scoop. I'm still up in the air about how to create a good scoop to intercooler gasket but I have some ideas.

I may get some large diameter rubber hose, cut it in half and then cut four sides which will be glued together to make a square gasket. I'm just unsure what type of glue would be able to hold rubber hose together under heat.
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car, btw.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you cut up a 924NA hood???
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Maybe924  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't think the hood scoop looks any better on an NA hood. It looks fine in CGT trim but just doesn't cut it with 924 fenders. I actually kinda like the way this car looks. Its ugly but looks purposeful.

emoore924  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a deep breath. Step away from the car. Think. Take current hood off, set aside.

Hacksaw a 924 n/a hood. It will look a LOT better than a scoop + a duct and you won't wreck a spectacular 931 hood that *matches* your car exactly (think: When I sell..., if I take it off, I can get X bucks for the 937 i/c, and hey, I can put the old hood back on PLUS I can sell the one with the scoop...)

Slice a small diameter piece of fuel line (or other black rubber tubing) half way through the long way so it looks like a "C", open up slice and fit on edge of f'glass scoop, and you'll make a fine gasket. Just don't crank it down so hard that it puckers.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE.
Maybe924  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just keep the piece I cut out and if I hate it and want to return it to look stock I can just get it welded back on and repaired. With some new sound deadening material under the hood it would look like it was never cut.

I certainly do understand that cutting into a perfectly good turbo hood seems wrong but thats what kept the intercooler on the shelf and not on the car. I couldn't bring myself to do it and I don't like the look of an NA hood and scoop. Something had to give. The NACA hood is getting cut... I'm determined. Now if I could get a silver 944 parts car in short order I may reconsider but I'm planning on holing the hood tomorrow so I think thats just fantasy.

I have a feeling that 200hp is gonna make up for any bad feelings I might have about the hood.
mr. dude  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Cool.
Maybe924  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a pretty sweet looking 931 in your avatar Mr. Dude. If you're looking to go intercooled you might wanna go the way Rasta did, it looks to be a pretty sweet setup. Then again the 951 intercooler in the nose is likely the absolute best solution, even better than the CGT cooler IMO, with a modified intake and GTS headlight conversion it'd be one sweet machine.

Now wheres that jigsaw...

John
mr. dude  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... thanks for your comments and advice John! I've really learned a lot about intercooling these last couple days.
mr. dude  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking... you could also get a hood from GT Racing. It's lighter, easier to cut into and would save your current hood from being cut up.

http://www.gt-racing.com/pdfs/GTR944.pdf
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe924 wrote:
Thats a pretty sweet looking 931 in your avatar Mr. Dude. If you're looking to go intercooled you might wanna go the way Rasta did, it looks to be a pretty sweet setup. Then again the 951 intercooler in the nose is likely the absolute best solution, even better than the CGT cooler IMO, with a modified intake and GTS headlight conversion it'd be one sweet machine.

Now wheres that jigsaw...

John

Yep, that's my plan for this summer (the 951 IC - and probably with revised end tanks for better flow).

I also have the GT hood scoop, but rather than slapping it on a good 931 hood, it'll be going on a fiberglass hood skin (outer layer only, held on by 4 hood pins just like the racecar).
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Maybe924  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deed is done... I'm going for a ride. Will post some pics and my impressions later today.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I suggest ditching the screw-type clamps on your boost control line and replacing them with the ones pictured below. You really don't want that line letting go.

Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're missing one there Rasta, so this is a case of "do as I say, not as I do", right?
JK of course.
Where do you get those funky little crimp clamps and tool?
(I'm sure I could find a place, but my 112F driveway's sucked all the energy out of me today.
(Well, that's the current excuse anyway..))

Yeah the hood starts to look a bit crowded with both the NACA duct + IC scoop. It's a case of form follows function - sometimes the form gets a little awkward, but they both remain functional, so from that point of view I think it's better to have both.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: