Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

What calipers?? Help needed..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparky  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: What calipers?? Help needed.. Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Yesterday in the mail I received these 4 calipers, its a long story, but im not sure what year/model they are from exactly. They are meant to be front and rear, but they are identical. Obviously apart from 2 being left and 2 being right side..

Can someone tell me if this is normal, and what they are from.. Also where can I get a rebuild kit at a good price for these 4? I plan on taking them to be sand blasted and powder coated in the next week..

Also I know it is in the FAQ, but as im not sure what calipers these are from I thought I would ask..

What would i need EXACTLY to fit these up? Im ready to change everything from suspension to control arms, as mine are a mess, rusty and one is bent!

PS: I want to fit a nice fat set of wheels on the car, to nicely fill the 944T arches which are all around..

My car is a 76 Euro 924..

Any help is appreciated!
Cheers,
SparkY

1976 Euro 924 (The 945) - Full 951 Brakes/Suspension

1998 Boxster with goodies
2002 3.0 Xtype 4wd sport
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sure don't look identical in the pics. 4-piston Brembos from a 951? If so, rebuild kits look to be $50 per wheel.
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most important thing is piston size: the ones with smaller pistons are for rear.

They come from either pre-1988 951 or non-M030 S2.

When sandblasting, remember to COVER pistons and do NOT remove them when sandblasting. Otherwise sand will ruin the surface and you can throw the caliper away.

And when powdre-coating, definitely remove all and all rubber parts and cover all holes as it's real PITA to remove powder paint (it's very strong).
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's link to 4piston rebuild parts: http://www.zeckhausen.com/Brembo/Consumables.htm#Rebuild
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
Nobbi  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one diffrent thing,
what about some pics from your LSD doors?
like to see it !
Sorry cant help you with the calipers,all i know is that there are rebuild sets in the original porsche 924 parts-manual.

Nobbi
sparky  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Rasta, the calipers are pictured front of the caliper and rear of the caliper.
this is just to show both sides to try and help with the identification. The angle the pics were taken from makes them look slightly different, but they are not

The calipers are all exactly the same.. ill try and measure up the pistons to work out if I have 4 fronts or 4 rears.. Will the piston size help everyone work out what car these are from exactly?

Thanks for the link of the re-build kits and the tips for sandblasting

Nobbi if you PM me your email address ill send you some pics.. it takes ages to upload pics from here to photobucket cause my connection is sooo slow right now!

SparkY

2002 3.0 Xtype 4wd sport
sparky  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok it was my bad.. the pistons on one set are different in size to the pistons of the other..

I am still a bit unsure on which year/model car these are from. I need to work this out so I can buy the rotors and other bits and get them right first time..

Does anyone have a complete list of all the other things I would need to fit these up to the car?

Again, its a 76 Euro 924

PS: Nobbi, did you get the pics?

All help appreciated!
SparkY

2002 3.0 Xtype 4wd sport
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are from the cars I already mentioned before in my 1st post.

In order to fit them to your car, you'll need to do 5lug conversion first. If you're already done that, fine.
Then buy 1986 944 Turbo brake discs. Only those will fit, newer ones are totally different (although calipers are the same). Rears fit fine, it's bolt-on, just look maybe caliper bolts need some washers as spacers to get the caliper lined up with the disc properly.

Fronts are a bit more work. You'll need to fabricate mounting spacers for the calipers plus heat and bend steering knuckle's ball joint mount as the thicker rotor will touch it otherwise. But you'll understand it when you're at it.

And you can't use front backing plates, they won't fit.
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
gohim  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like it will be a whole lot more work than simply using a full set of brakes from a 931 (with five bolt) or a early 944. More expensive as well.

For one the rebuild kits for the calipers would be closer to $15 each for a 944 or a 931. Using 951 calipers, you will also have to convert to a 944 or 952 master cylinder and brake booster to get enough brake fluid movement to actuate the calipers.

While it is true that you can never have enough brake, on a 77 924, the 931/944 four wheels disc brakes will work great. No need for 951 brakes.

You might consider cleaning up the calipers and throwing them on eBay to raise the cash to buy a full set of 931/944 brakes.
sparky  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Raceboy,

Thanks for that.. So basically im after some 86-87 951 goodies for these..
(pads and rotors)

I have not done a 5-lug conversion yet so I will get all the parts together and swap everything in when they are all here.. I will be aiming to get all the parts from a 86/87 951.. apart from the calipers, rotors, pads, master cylinder and brake booster. What else should be on the shopping list?

PS: After spending a whopping amount of money on this car, for the custom body kit, the lambo doors and the renewed interior. These bigger brakes are what I am after. Followed by a nice set of rims. That way the car will look the business all around. Ill enjoy driving it for a long while. It will look good, handle and brake perfectly. Ill make sure it is all reliable, and only then will I consider making it move a little quicker..

SparkY

2002 3.0 Xtype 4wd sport
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceboy wrote:
bend steering knuckle's ball joint mount as the thicker rotor will touch it otherwise.

Could a 951 steering knuckle be fitted in leiu of this?
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these look identical to the rear 928S4 calipers.
sparky  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK you can fit the 951 spindles..

Lizard, it would make sense for them to be the same as the S4 rear calipers, as the S4 and the 87 951 were being made at the same time..

My shopping list so far:

Calipers (have them)
Rotors
Spindles
Brake booster
Master cylinder
Brake pads
Brake lines
Rotor stone guards

Now I am presuming I would need to change the control arms but am not sure.. if there are any other bits that come to mind.. let me know

Cheers for all the help so far..
SparkY

2002 3.0 Xtype 4wd sport
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For once I HAVE to agree with Gohim.... your better off to sell those and just get the entire set up needed from a 931 or a 944. You will need to get different ball joints as well as yours will be too small.

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sparky  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do agree with the suggestions here, and appreciate them greatly.

To have them shipped out of here, it would cost anywhere from $100-$250.. I am a big fan of big brakes and custom body kits.. which is why this time I have decided I want to get them looking good and rig these calipers up to my car..

I know some people think it is probably just a waste of time, but when I want something, I usually just go right for it..

I still need help on which parts to get though.. As I said, I do appreciate the opinions and advice though

So ball joints are added to the shopping list

Since this is a project car, and I have other daily drivers, I dont mind doing this car up slowly, and I am greatly enjoying getting it looking the best I can and making it very reliable.. Speed is not an issue for me right now, besides the island is quite small with loads of little streets..

A few years back, I was at the top of the karting championships over here, and had planned to make it up to the UK with sponsors already backing it, unfortunately I was involved in a bad accident where a back marker turned into my rear left wheel throwing me into a tree at high speeds. It ended all my hopes of continueing, but released a new passion to build a top quality car which is different and fun.. This one so far has most of the things I want: A cool different body kit, a cosy and neat interior, and hopefully soon a reliable engine. And yep you guessed it.. Big brakes which are framed with stupidly fat rims

I am sharing the story above to try and shed some light on why I am so crazy about doing everything the way I hope for..

PS: I know it would make more sense to just buy a 951, but there is only 1 951 on the island ASAIK. The import duties over here are $30,000 for 2.0L upwards and then there is V.A.T on the value they decide.. crazy I know!

Thanks again,
SparkY

2002 3.0 Xtype 4wd sport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: