Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

FRANCO CAM GEARS...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwalin  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I emailed Mr. Franco and he said...

"Yes I am out of production. The Porsche 924 web sight is suppose to survey it's members to see if there are at least 25 sales for the gear. I do not know how many have responded. If I can be guaranteed 25 sales I might start production again."

So, there it is. Is anyone checking? I will take the orders and names and such if noone else is...I am ready to buy two...that leaves 23...any takers?

-Jeff
JvGinPDX  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one.
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put me down for 2 as long as the price doesn't go up much further than it was.
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: Dyno test
friskynibbles  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll take one, if the price stays the same.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

300.00 bucks Ill pass er what is rhe cost.
jwalin  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah, yeah, dyno test. Well, here is the way I see it...

If you investigate the effects cam timing has on an engine, you will see what the advantages are for advancing and retarding. Obviously this has some degree of success due to Honda, Toyota, Porsche, among others using cam timing to enhance performance. Yes, these are twin cam engines and the aforementioned three are varying the degrees BETWEEN lobe separation and not the whole of intake and exhaust timing, but it should demonstrate the importance of valve timing. Add to that the attention given to adjustable (not automatic) cam sprockets of any application as far as performance benefits at different RPM's, and logic would point to this conclusion...all it has to do is work, and it will be effective at enhancing power.

I built an engine for the 924 in Motion Softwares' Desktop Dyno 2000 program because I am skeptical, also. It showed significant gains over the entire range with respect to how this thing operates.

There is no debate as to the benefits of cam timing...these conclusions are well proven, just ask any race engine builder.

As for this particular product...he supports it with claims on his web page, and ask anyone who has installed one on thier engine...they will tell you.

So, noone has the resources to dyno this thing at the moment. Obviously he went through all the trouble to design it, and I haven't heard anything bad about it or him in this whole discussion.

Are you willing to spend $300 to see if it works? I am.

Say it only gives you 5hp. That really is not bad for $300. Power is money!

read the book Desktop Dyno's. It is a great resource.

c'mon 25!

-jef
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it work on an '80 931?
jwalin  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the 931...there may be an issue since it is an interference engine. Anyone know?

maybe ask Franco himself?

http://thorin.adnc.com/~figf/

-jeff
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, great, it works in theory. Spiffy. I'm not dropping $300 for theory. I didn't say I wouldn't buy it if it makes 5hp. I didn't say power doesn't cost money. I said it should be dyno tested.

An adjustable cam sprocket is less than $100. Unless the automatic cam gear performs considerably better, it isn't worth it.

If I had a nickel for every god damn thread about the Franco cam gear I'd be able to buy the f*&king thing AND dyno test it.

Let me put it this way. People might be convinced to buy it if it were dyno tested.
coconutcowboy  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put me down for one and reserve a slot for another if any left over or unpaid for. I have 2 924's I wish to use them with.

put a post on the vw and audi boards . they use the same exact gear.

maybe we could get more than 25 orders and cheaper price to boot

[ This Message was edited by: coconutcowboy on 2002-06-14 07:47 ]
jwalin  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

http://www3.adnc.com/~figf/88audi.jpg
http://www3.adnc.com/~figf/87golf.jpg
http://www3.adnc.com/~figf/87vwjet.jpg
http://www3.adnc.com/~figf/84vwrab.jpg

Is this good enough? It is from the Franco website...

http://thorin.adnc.com/~figf/

I haven't seen one dyno'ed on a 924, but as soon as I get my engine built I will test it with and without to see the difference....it will be a while, though.....

-jeff

hope you decide to get one...
jamez  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah there is no question in my mind that our engines would have the same if not more h.p. gains than the VW's. I still owe Bob Dodd some money but I should have some extra cash as soon as I can start working full time for the summer... So put me on the list...
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I read through all the literature. It looks to me that the cam gear is a waste on a stock engine. So if you guys are planning on installing it on a 924 without a ported head and cam upgrade (and probably a header also) you're wasting your time. There is a reason that all of the dyno tests are with upgraded camshafts.

I have a feeling that the gear will not make any appreciable amount of power on a stock engine. The shift in the cam timing is to try to counteract the camshaft's poor performance at lower RPM. In other words, since the stock 924 camshaft was designed for midrange, you probably won't see much benefit at all (if any).

Also, the 924 distributor is run off of the camshaft, and so the timing will be altered throughout the RPM range as well, including being retarded slightly at higher RPMs. I don't know how this will affect the 924 (which is sorta why I asked for a dyno test in the first place).

So in addition to the $300 or so for the cam gear, you're going to need a new camshaft, and probably a port and polish job, and maybe a header.

I believe that it works very well with a big cam and a ported head. If I ever have plans for an upgraded n/a engine, I'll consider the Franco gear. For now, I've got to drive my 924 every day, and pass California smog requirements.

[ This Message was edited by: 924 turbo on 2002-06-14 09:09 ]
coconutcowboy  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if Aussie Pete can get some of his VW / Audi/ Porsche friends/ fiends to buy in on this deal.

As I said post on the vw / audi boards. the more the better.

See if some of the Canadians and Brits would like to order too.

Sean Ross A@P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: