Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

boost......how much?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2000 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: r2kirk@gateway.net
Date: 1/31/00
Time: 3:00:40 AM

I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me how much turbo boost the
stock 931 turbocharger can withstand, withoutdamage. I plan on updating the intake
system with a intercooler and respectively add more boost. Also is there an
easy and cheap(I know the words easy and cheap don't mix with cars but
I can have hope) way to raise the boost levels?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2000 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: mholz27530@aol.com
Date: 1/31/00
Time: 9:58:06 AM

15 pounds is pushing the limit not just by what it is capable of flowing but because of the RPM's it would be reaching. Is your car an earlier car with the hose/tube that goes from the wastegate to the plenum (intake tube from turbo)? There is a way to do it there. Also you could take the wastegate apart and shim the spring but that is an experiment as far as boost numbers go. I am also converting to a 951 intercooler. You will also have a boost drop when you install the intercooler. The performance will still go up but it might look disappointing to you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2000 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: spkprobe@aol.com
Date: 2/2/00
Time: 12:27:57 AM

with the stock head bolts, i would not recommended
more than 11 pounds. with 14 pounds you will get cylinder seepage into the cooling system, more so if you have a aged head gaskit. the easiest way to raise the boost check anyone with a modified 911 turbo and use the wastegate spring this will give you 11 pounds of boost. if you want more it is available i think for 80.00 from automotion. do not raise the boost without intercooling your eghaust temp. will increase considerable. Also seek out the throttle body of any VW from 86-93 it is much bigger than stock ( if you have the early twin pot throttle ) and it will improve the intake flow. you will have to port the manifold at the throttle body but it is worth it if you plan on increasing the boost. If you have the bigger k26 from the early 924t it can be run above 1 bar to 1.2 bar tops but the smaller turbo should not be run above 1 bar. the best thing that can be done is purchase a euro transmission of one of those english salvage yards this would do more for you than raising the boost. but this done in conjuction of raising the boost will make for a car as rapid as the 951. My 931 with euro 5spd ported heads , manifolds,intercooler and big k26 at 1 bar will run with the best of them. that includes 951 and will stay close to a stock 911t.
Wayne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2000 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: mholz27530@aol.com
Date: 2/3/00
Time: 12:35:16 PM

Wayne,
I am very glad to have found someone to explain some things about 931 turbos. I have an '80 931 US. What turbo is this? (it says K26) What are the differences I should look for? ( I have more Turbos lying around) And what do you mean by Euro trans? I happen to have 2 other non-turbo '79 931 type trannies lying around. Any feedback is appreciated. I also recommend RaceWare headstuds for any 924 owner.....

Thanks, Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2000 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: Ponzv@aol.com
Date: 2/4/00
Time: 5:32:40 PM

Tell us more. I would like to improve the ride but fear damage. I am not skilled in turbos. What state are you in.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: