Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Dyno results - BAE Turbo
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Dyno results - BAE Turbo Reply with quote

I've finally got around to putting the car on the dyno and achieved 140.8hp at the back wheels. There's more available if I can find a way to get some more fuel in at higher revs as it's running lean at the top.

The specs are:
euro pistons
port matched intake manifold
Piper Cam
small intercooler
BAE turbo with external waste gate
boost activated cold start injector
points ignition!

I'll keep you all updated over the next few months as I sort it all out.
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, you could always bolt on another CSV onto the other side of the manifold and trigger it at a higher psi level...
leadfoot
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadfoot wrote:
Nice one, you could always bolt on another CSV onto the other side of the manifold and trigger it at a higher psi level...
leadfoot

That might be the go, but it would have to be rpm triggered as it hits full boost at about 3000rpm where it's actually very rich and then leans out at higher revs.

Any ideas for a trigger system? Perhaps an adjustable shift light actuator switching a relay or something??
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it stilll CIS? what about that vaccuum controlled audi WUR i read about around here somewhere?
endwrench  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, if you switched your points ignition to MegaJoltLiteJr You could control your spark better plus you could use one or two of the four auxilery outputs to control extra injectors based on either rpm or load. It would be rather rudementry but I think it would work plus you would have a hotter spark to boot. It wouldn't cost much more than a shift light setup.

Todd

BTW, nice dyno numbers!!
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main problem is activating it based solely on RPM...
Basically this is not load dependant, and it would be operating constantly above 3000rpm.
The article below talks about a trigger sensitive relay that can work this function, what I would do is add a pressure switch in-line with the earth connection, probably at the injector ground, this would serve to break the injector operation when boost is not present.
I have searched other sites that also sell pressure switches that vary in their triggering values to, so you could even fine tune a little more with a higher/lower psi value.
If you can't be bothered building electronic components then I have seen autometer gauges that have external triggering capabilities, and you could just wire in your pressure switch to that signal... BTW I have no idea what the current draw of an injector is so you would need to make sure it could drive the injector current...
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/A_2810/hDg34uLtp_1/cms/article.html
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1034/article.html
Leadfoot
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - keep the great ideas coming through!

www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endwrench did hit the nail with that idea. Or you can go EFI anytime, it's really taking two days maximum to complete if you have all the gear needed (MS, injectors, fuel rail from endwrench ) and make your car really shine.

Good luck with your car Andrew!
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceboy wrote:
Endwrench did hit the nail with that idea. Or you can go EFI anytime, it's really taking two days maximum to complete if you have all the gear needed (MS, injectors, fuel rail from endwrench ) and make your car really shine.

Good luck with your car Andrew!

I will go EFI eventually, but I'm quite keen to see how far I can go with the original set up first.
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option also on the autospeed site was a fuel regulator that can recieve an electronic trigger
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2619/article.html
Theory is if you can increase fuel system pressure and decrease control pressure you can increase overall fuel levels...
Firstly if you aren't using a turbo WUR use one as it will lower control pressure via boost sensing... which is what you want, load dependant.
Then you can use this little fella, or go old school and shim the system pressure... the advantage of this little fella is that you can do it above the 3000rpm reference where it was rich and starting to go lean, therefore no creating excessive rich levels below 3000RPM.
According to the 928 guys you can can run system pressure up to 80 psi, but control pressure needs to be watched as it can cause leakages if made to low. As system pressure would only be increased above 3000rpm this scenario would possibly be avoided.
Leadfoot
endwrench  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew NZ wrote:

I will go EFI eventually, but I'm quite keen to see how far I can go with the original set up first.

I like programable EFI too but I would like to see how far you can take the NA CIS injection system in a boosted application.

How much boost are you running now?

Todd
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadfoot wrote:
Another option also on the autospeed site was a fuel regulator that can recieve an electronic trigger
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2619/article.html
Theory is if you can increase fuel system pressure and decrease control pressure you can increase overall fuel levels...
Firstly if you aren't using a turbo WUR use one as it will lower control pressure via boost sensing... which is what you want, load dependant.
Then you can use this little fella, or go old school and shim the system pressure... the advantage of this little fella is that you can do it above the 3000rpm reference where it was rich and starting to go lean, therefore no creating excessive rich levels below 3000RPM.
According to the 928 guys you can can run system pressure up to 80 psi, but control pressure needs to be watched as it can cause leakages if made to low. As system pressure would only be increased above 3000rpm this scenario would possibly be avoided.
Leadfoot

There are some great ideas coming through thanks. This is a great forum Please keep them coming so I can sit down next week and work out which way to try first.
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

endwrench wrote:

How much boost are you running now?

Todd

7.5psi
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Min  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew NZ wrote:

The only suggestions I can come up with are really like using a bandaid to try and stem arterial bleeding, you need proper fuel control. However, what you can do is get a megasquirt and use it in 'piggy pack' mode, firing a set of secondary injectors at whatever RPM/MAP/whatever you want. Just setup 2 secondary injectors of whatever size seems appropriate and use the squirt to control how much fuel they inject. That way its a bit more scalable than say another cold start injector. It will also give you the added benifit of learning the system a bit before setting it up for full engine control. You can use the megasquirt to control your distributor ignition, or you could go EDIS, or ... or ... or .... Is there any restrictions on that kind of stuff in your class of racing?

I must say that I'm glad to see someone with a boosted 924 na put it on a dyno, very encouraging. I look forward to seeing more progress.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
simsport  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Fuel Reply with quote

There is a device available over here called an MFI. I think its made by Aquamist the water injection people and it will run a 5th injector for you based on load/boost and I think rpm.

Look up AQUAMIST OR ERL?

Cheers
Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: