Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Autopower Roll Bar Installed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Autopower Roll Bar Installed Reply with quote

Weather and schedule finally allowed me to get the roll bar installed. Got a few more things to get done on the interior before spring, but should come together nicely for the arrival of good driving weather...

Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats up man cnabt yousee that your pics are too dark
I cant see any fricken detail.. & Im not lighten your pics for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? They look fine on my computer. I know I am a terrible photgrapher, but everything looks clear in the pics to me. Can anyone else see them?
JB 924  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I can see them fine. Looks good! Can't wait to check it out at the meet. Hopefully I'll have some toys on my car, too, by then.

That'll make it a bitch to finish the carpeting! LOL. Is it a new one? Are you going to install racing seats also? With harness? And did you just drill holes in the car to connect it? I could never do that in mine. Too rusty. Lots of questions.
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jens. The carpet in the passenger area is done, the trunk carpet is easy and will get done through the hatch. I've got Wayne's Upholstery working on a rear seat delete that will be very easy to drop in with the roll bar installed, it should look pretty cool, like the factory club sport delete on the 968, I'll post pictures when its done. Install was easy, no rust, the kit comes with thick backing plates and all the hardware, it was actually a lot easier than I thought, just drilling holes like you said. Me and a friend had it done in about 2.5 hours. I've got a set of crow 6 point harnesses to go in, with sternum straps which should keep them located on my shoulders with the stock seats. I don't really want to go to fixed back seats, but I may.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah those were actually too dark to see well on my screen too. I have 4 pics starting [ here <click> ] for anyone else with the too dark pic problem. Feel free to copy them back Chrenan, and I hope you don't mind..

The roll bar looks good. I like the whole idea. Will be adding padding to it so you don't have to wear a helmet for trips to the store?

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox

Last edited by Smoothie on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smoothie! Yes, I'll be adding some roll bar padding as well, just need to get to one of the drag race supply places in town before spring. Makes me wonder about the years I drove around in highschool in a Jeep with no roll bar padding, had a cross bar right by my head.
endwrench  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures look pretty dark on my computer too for some reason.

Did you happen to weigh the rollbar before you put it in? I've always been interested how much they would add. I have to admit the only reason I would put one in is for the "cool" factor . I don't race were it is mandated.

Todd
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB 924 wrote:
Sweet! I can see them fine. Looks good! Can't wait to check it out at the meet. Hopefully I'll have some toys on my car, too, by then.
Whats up JB 924 your the only one that agreed, jeez

Chrenan I'm envious looks awesome. great job Smoothie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
flosho  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were too dark on my screen as well, then I just tilted the lcd monitor back a bit and now i can see them.

Looks great!!
StienbargerR  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, lcd's and flat panels dont seem to do well with dark colors.

Looks great, I think the carpet is gonna make it look like a factory racer.

Ryan
flosho  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question.. how hard is it to tilt the sunroof up when sitting in the drivers seat? Seems like the roll bar is right in the way!?
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys.

According to the shipping info, the rollbar and hardware was 60 pounds with minimal packaging attached (mostly plastic wrap). I'll save some weight with the seatback out, and the soundproofing under the replacement carpet is significantly lighter than what came out. All-in-all I'll be up a couple of pounds, but hopefully not too many.

I test fit the sunroof during installation. The top bar does make it awkward to get at the back latches, but not impossible. As for tilting it up while sitting in the driver seat, I'll have to get back to you on that one when I put the seats back in. I've never actually driven with the roof tilted up as I don't have the little leather safety strap to hold it secure.
JB 924  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endwrench wrote:
I have to admit the only reason I would put one in is for the "cool" factor .
Todd

I remember when I first bought the 924 and read all the threads where everyone and anyone would get flamed for even mentioning a rollbar in their car. I always like the idea, and think it looks sweet. But obviously more show than anything. Not really ricer, though. I like it alot, Chrenan.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoothie wrote:
Will be adding padding to it so you don't have to wear a helmet for trips to the store?

Padding alone ain't adequate if that bar is within reach of yer head. There was a great bit in Sport Compact Car about that. . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: