Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Borla or Magnaflow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JB 924  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Borla or Magnaflow Reply with quote

I know there is a million threads on exhaust, but they never really seem to go anywhere, and most people seem to have quite loud mufflers.

I want to get a new exhaust soon, and was wondering which muffler would sound best. I want everything after the downpipe replaced with new piping. My car doesn't have a cat, but if I find one for cheap I'll put it on. Should I replace thew primary muffler with a cat?

And have you ever heard a 924 with either one. I'm not looking into Flowmaster, because from what I have heard (mainly from StienbergerR), it makes it sound loud, but good. I don't want anything loud, though. I'll be doing about 140km a day of highway driving (if I actually drive the car every day ), so I don't really want to hear the car unless I really floor it. Also, I'd rather have that high pitch race car sound than a deep rumble.

I'm open to any other suggestions.

Jens
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm...stock exhaust ?!
JB 924  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what kind of muffler I have on there, but it sounds horrible.
Slam  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read (here, I think) that the 944 final muffler is good on these cars. Delete the cat, weld in straight pipe to the muffler. My 944 is set up like this and it's not too loud, and used 944 mufflers aren't too hard to find. Mandy's 924 has got a fart cannon on it and it's just plain too loud.
'80 924 - gone
'78 924 - gone
'77 924 - rusting comfortably
JB 924  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slam wrote:
Mandy's 924 has got a fart cannon on it

RICER!!!!!!

Thanks Slam, maybe I'll give that a try. I'll see ya on the 9th!
Khal  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Borla or Magnaflow Reply with quote

JB 924 wrote:
I know there is a million threads on exhaust, but they never really seem to go anywhere...

Probably because individual tastes are so varied. What you think is too loud might really appeal to someone else. And what you think sounds rough might actually sound good to someone else.

My tip? For once, go with the older (or just more experienced? ) guys suggestions... they tend to have more refined tastes than a 17-year-old who just wants to rice... um... I mean, "race"

Sneezing BOV's do not sound good, nor do harsh or boomy exhausts...

In my opinion a large-ish water-cooled four should have a mellow, perhaps slightly rumbly sound. A bit of volume is fine but go overboard and you'll just look like another wannabe ricer-boy.

Which system sounds the best? Dunno, haven't heard any of the ones that have been recommended. Mine's got a custom system, which I think sounds good, nice and deep. But it drones a bit at cruising rev's...
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember who but someone here tried stock, Flowmaster, Borla and Magnaflow and liked the magnaflow the best. He said it was load under load but mellowed well at cruise. Said it just sounded better under load too than any of the others. I have read a couple magazines saying they like the sound of the Magnaflow on a 4cyl motor better than the flowmasters too. Not sure this helps but I think I will be going Magnaflow when I build my new 2 1\2" mandrel bend exaust system.

Todd
JB 924  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I think I'll end up going with a magnaflow. All the clips I've heard on different cars sounded pretty good. I've never heard a Borla in person, but thought they might be good, too. And Khal, trust me, I'm not a ricer. I guess mellow is the word I was looking for. Back to english school for me.
CBass  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest running a dynomax race bullet muffler where the cat is supposed to be, tack the heatshield over top of it and it'll probably pass a visual inspection The dynomax super turbo mufflers are pretty good all around. Good performance, good sound and pretty cheap. That's my 2 cents.
Slam  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Slam wrote:
Mandy's 924 has got a fart cannon on it

RICER!!!!!!

Trust me, she hates it! But her cash went into water pumps and brakes...so for now she's stuck with it.
'80 924 - gone
'78 924 - gone
'77 924 - rusting comfortably
StienbargerR  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB,

I think you should avoid a flowmaster. I really like the sound, but I have been hanging out with this girl lately, and its sort of a PITA when Im trying to talk with her in the car and whatnot. Sort of embarrassing when you just want to drive normal.

Ryan
Desolation  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol my gf was driving her brothers GT Mustang with straight pipes and I could talk/hear fine =D
stevencrichton  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Past Experience Reply with quote

... Straight cherry's will give far too much noise and probably sound great at first, but as everyone says leave it. Same with any other really large straight out.

What you really want is a straight system with a bore as close to stock, otherwise you are into the realms of torque tuning, which is what muffler design is all about. That's why the ricers are pretty stupid throwing a stock thing on every time.

Unfortunately I don't know about US tuners, but over here Remus and Janspeed are really highly respected tuners for such parts. Either that or go and see your local Dyno operator and see who they recommend. The 924 as it stands is a masterpiece of tuning with fueling, induction and exhaust. Therfore just don't ruin it by shoving on any straight out pipe with no cat instantly.

My mini had a nice tuned exhaust which was mild steel, although turned in 12Bhp over the standard as it was a properly tuned item.

Steven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: