Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

solid tranny mounts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBass  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: solid tranny mounts Reply with quote

Made up a set of these today for my car. Only thing I can say is wow... Acceleration really hits harder and the car not only feels faster, it's noticebly faster. I had to let off in some of the twisties tonight and even got a little sideways accelerating in only a slightly brisk manner around a tight corner.

Anyone interested enough to see pics?
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes !
pcarfanatic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot wait!!!! Yes please!
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and a price for a set

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they work on a 1980 5-speed? Price for a set? Any noticeable increase in harsh vibrations? Do you need to be running solid engine mounts as well?
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a dog-leg it's shouldn't bring any noticeable increase in vibrations or noise because tranny is mounted onto the torsion bar carrier. On Audi-type noise/vibration will probably be louder.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he has a snailshell in his car right now,

I would be afraid of breaking the tranny case,
-nick  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm squinting my eyes at the thought too. In addition to stress on the trans case, the torsion bar carrier is mounted to the body with flexible mounts. Any twist from the engine is going to be transmitted into twisting the whole torsion carrier - which includes the attached control arms. This could do really funny things to the handling when you're on/off the throttle going around a turn.

I would think it should be more of an all or nothing deal with solid mounts - with the snailshell you also need solid engine mounts and solid torsion carrier mounts, with the Audi trans you just need the additional solid engine mounts.

I've heard of 911 folks tearing through the engine case with solid mounts. Our block is iron, which should alleviate that problem, but the gearbox is susceptible to cracking the aluminum case.
Min  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we'll find out if cbass breaks something. Always good for someone to guinea pig these sorts of idea's.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StienbargerR  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see it. If it is sucessful, I might make a pair myself, that is if it fits the 4 speed trans.

Ryan
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pictures please....sounds interesting...but not realy beliveble that the car is actualy faster.
simsport  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Mounts Reply with quote

There is a cheaper way of tightening the snailshell mounts.
Take a short strip of flat steel bar, approx 1/8" thick and cut so it is a little longer than the outside metal case of the gearbox mount. Drill a hole to take the mount center bolt and run the bolt through that hole.

What it does is limit the 'inwards' movement of the rubber mount, and as you have one on both sides it keeps the box steady whilst still allowing a small amount of movement overall.

I ran my supercharged car this way for several seasons, I also had Vibratechnics engine mounts.

Cheers
Simon
NEMESIS  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounts Reply with quote

simsport wrote:
I also had Vibratechnics engine mounts.

Cheers
Simon

Wouldn't happen to have a part number for those mounts would you? I can't find an alternative to stock in this item anywhere.
Min  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounts Reply with quote

NEMESIS wrote:
Wouldn't happen to have a part number for those mounts would you? I can't find an alternative to stock in this item anywhere.

http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/parts/part-details.asp?id=362

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CBass  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't intended on making sets for sale actually, and I can't guarantee that doing this won't horrible #### up the rear suspension or crack the tranny case... Oh well, you only live once. The vibration isn't bad at all. You can only really feel it when slipping the clutch or blipping the throttle at a stop. I do get vibrations around 2800-3200rpm, but I think that's because one of my motor mounts has gone bye bye.

Backstory is, motor mounts have gone bad, I need the car to commute and I didn't like the interesting new noises my transmission was making as a result. It's a temporary fix until I can get new motor mounts.

It's a really simple mount, just a block of 3x2" billet aluminum 2" wide. I took measurements off of a stock mount and made a solid piece that would fit in the same space.

Not having access to a decent metric stud, I tapped the bottom for 1/2"-13NC and used a bolt with loctite and a lock washer. I reused the original bolt for the transmission.

Only issues were the locating tabs for the mount. There are a couple of raised bumps that are to keep the steel bracket of the original mount from spinning and the flange face on the transmission has a lip at the very top to keep the rubber from twisting.

You'll have to forgive the poor quality of the pics, taken with a camera phone and a lamp from underneath my car.

So I guess the theory is that the tranny being rigidly located and the engine not being rigidly fixed will cause metal fatigue and break things? I might just try on some solid motor mounts and see how bad the vibration really is
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: