Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Flosho is now 'cooled.. Thanks to HBM... *Large Pics*
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flosho  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Flosho is now 'cooled.. Thanks to HBM... *Large Pics* Reply with quote

Well, its partially done, tomorrow evening the rest of the stuff is going in, but the "hard" part is over. A big thanks to Hausbrauen, well Wes, as he set me up with everything at a good price!

The bending/welding was done by www.furoracing.com and he was top notch, spent almost 20 straight hours working on it getting it together by this weekend!!

Throttle body to intercooler is 3" and form the turbo to the other side of the intercooler is 2.5" so it definately flows much more..

Now on to the pics...

leadfoot  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one... what boost are you going to run with the cooled charge ?? Are you measuring the intake temps as well??
Leadfoot
flosho  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadfoot wrote:
Nice one... what boost are you going to run with the cooled charge ?? Are you measuring the intake temps as well??
Leadfoot

I'm gonna be running about 1 bar, but it all depends on the intake temps.. I'm buying a handheld infrared thermometer to monitor the temps...nothing fancy for now.

But first I have to diagnois this miss I now have over 3k rpm.. its not much fun keeping the car under 3k..
Min  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to let us know how it works for you flosho, It looks good, nice and compact. any particular reason for deciding on such large piping?

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOL !
endwrench  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a good plumber! It's harder to get those cuts in mandrel bends than it looks. Not easy getting by the headlight bracket either.

You may want to just start with a fresh set of cold plugs with a small gap to find your miss. Any imperfection in the ignition is going to amplified with higher boost.

Is you blow-off going to atmosphere? Any problems with that so far?

Todd
Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pls more pics on the intercooler..

Does such large plumbing really fit under the bonnet ?
flosho  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

endwrench wrote:
You have a good plumber! It's harder to get those cuts in mandrel bends than it looks. Not easy getting by the headlight bracket either.

You may want to just start with a fresh set of cold plugs with a small gap to find your miss. Any imperfection in the ignition is going to amplified with higher boost.

Is you blow-off going to atmosphere? Any problems with that so far?

Todd

Yes, the gentleman that did the work was very good.. I'll get some more pics this evening. Had to cut a bit of the inner fender but it was worth it.

I'm gonna pick up a set of plugs just to change em out.. I fixed the miss/hesitation.. The elbow that connects from the intake tube and splices off was sliced and soon as it built any boost 5 psi and over and it would split apart and cause it to sputter..

The blow off valve isn't actually hooked up yet, so I wont comment on that...yet. I have to tee in a vacuum line to make it work, though under 8 psi it doesn't leak any boost which is good..

I'm also going to pick up a new air filter, mine is getting kind of grubby..

Cédric wrote:
Pls more pics on the intercooler..

Does such large plumbing really fit under the bonnet ?

Ill get some more tonite, when I finish the install, unfortunately the weather and alcohol didn't cooperate last nite so I got side tracked...

The plumbing just barely fits under the hood, sticks up about as much as the throttle plate does.. When my car is cold and I start it up, it idles low at first and the engine shakes a tad more so it vibrates a bit, the tolerances are VERY close, by the strut tower, and the headlight bracket and the fuel dizzy...

More pics to come..

Tigger937  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice clean install...........VERY nice work! I can appreciate the fitment of the pipes as I fabricated my own, though they are not mandrel bend. Very tight fit, but definately do-able. Took me something like 40 hours for everything. It was my first real serious welding job. What did you go with for an IC and how did you mount?

"Think outside the box"
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigger, you can see the intercooler in the pictures, it is the anodized piece, it is an air/water IC
endwrench  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard, thanks for pointing that out! I didn't figure that out either!

So Flosho, do you have a remout mount radiator for the IC? Doesn't look like you have that part plumbed yet. Will be interesting to see how well it works.

Todd
Tigger937  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
Tigger, you can see the intercooler in the pictures, it is the anodized piece, it is an air/water IC

Guess I completely missed that one. How does the efficiency compare with a standard air/air IC?

"Think outside the box"
genikz88  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigger937 wrote:
Lizard wrote:

Guess I completely missed that one. How does the efficiency compare with a standard air/air IC?

If I'm not mistaken, water can absorb 4x the amount of heat as air can.

The problem lies with heat dissapation (sp?). Air/air intercoolers have an endless supply of ambient air, especially effective at speed. Air/water IC's heat up the water supply to the point that it becomes ineffective (it would probably take a 20 minute track session to reach that point though, but this is a guess and depends on IC size, ambient temps, etc etc).

I may be way off on all this, and I'm in no way shitting on this thread

The setup looks good, and worst case scenario, you getter a bigger air/water IC or run a separate tank and circulate water from the tank to the IC.

Cheers.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both versions of IC get heat soak, air air just from other metal pieces around it and a lack of air passing through it.

but you also have to look at the fact that the more heat exchanges you make the less efficent the system is, so air water will always be slightly less efficent, however that being said it can be made abit more compact, and is probably a slightly better option for a street car that resides in the city.

and who knows what the efficency of that IC is, I am by no means the expert on knowing IC just from pictures
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that an air/water is generally only used in drag racing applications because as Lizard said the water does heat up rapidly.
When my water is at ambient temperature I get about 25-30 seconds of really good, cooled boost but after that it starts to heat up. I know this because I have an in cockpit temp gauge.
However ,that being said it only takes about 45 seconds of driving calmly off boost to cool the whole thing down again, or, if i'm at highway speeds then it's only about 20-30 seconds before she's ready to go again.These times listed are in the summer heat as well so I think that's not too bad.In the winter it cools in like 10 seconds flat at highway speeds. And as long as you're not using any boost,even sitting in hot summer time traffic or just tooling around town,the system is cooling itself.Unlike an air/air which will quickly heatsoak.
The best advice I can give you Flosho is to not scrimp on the H/E and water pump. In the end this one piece of the system will pay huge dividends on how well the system works for you and how big the smile on your face will be. Right now i'm using a stock A/C condenser but have plans for getting a double core aluminum unit this winter when I tear it all apart.The stock condenser just doesn't flow enough water to cool as well as i'd like.I'm not using a reservoir either as there is just no space left that's high enough to be above the whole sytem.The system is closed loop with a fill cap in the battery tray and a drain plug coming out the bottom of the H/E plumbing.Sorry but I can't find any of the pics I took of the pump set up.I will tell you that mine is mounted to the sheet metal plate that normally holds the stock coolant overflow tank. My hood wouldn't close with the stock coolant tank on top of the pump though so I made a new,slightly smaller one out of aluminum.What kind of pump are you going to use ?
So what kind of I/C is that and do you think it'll be big enough ? It doesn't look that big in the pics.( That's what she said,awooo) Mine is a B-252 core and I think next time i'll go one size bigger.Especially if I have a more efficient H/E.The B-252 where I have it set up in the battery tray cools the intake charge by almost exactly 50 degrees centigrade.The next size up should almost double that with a good H/E.
20/20 hindsight plauges me.
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: