Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

E-brake/Rear Brake Issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isuras2  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: E-brake/Rear Brake Issues Reply with quote

I finally put the rear brakes back together with the new hardware and shoes. The only thing that seems to be different is the e-brake. Before I messed with the brakes, the e-brake handle could be pulled up about 2-3 clicks at most and the wheels would not turn at all. Now I can pull the e-brake all the way and each wheel can still turn, although there is more resistance, but still can turn. The only thing I can think of is that I disconnected the e-brake stuff from the backing plate on the left side, then reconnected it. Other than that, everything has stayed the same. Any thoughts or suggestions as to what to check/try next?
Thanks,
Former Omaha Crew
djeviltwin  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten into the brakes on my 924 as of yet, but I have dealt with brake issues.

There should be a tension control on the brake line. When reconnecting brakes this can pick-up slack. I look for that adjustment first.
~E
gohim  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drum rear brakes on a 924 ARE NOT SELF ADJUSTING.

That means that YOU are responsible for adjusting them tight each month so the brakes will work when you step on them, and when you pull the parking brake handle.

When you replace the braking brake shoe, YOU must center and adjust each of the four brake shoes (two on each side). There is a star wheel for each brake shoe (two on each side).

When you first replace or when you disturb the position of the brake shoes, they will no longer be centered under the brake drum. You need to center them as best as possible, then replace the axle nut and torque it, then go inside the car and step on the brake pedal. Now you need to addjust each brake shoe till it can't turn, then back off the adjustment until the each sho can barely turn while dragging when you spin the drum by hand. Now, you go back into the car and step on the brake pedal again to recenter the brake shoes. Now adjust the brake shoes again. floow this procedure about 3-4 times. When you can step on the brake pedal, and the adjustment does not change (you don't have to tighten any of the brake shoes, then you are done with the brake shoe adjustment.

Now, pull the parking brake lever up 3 clicks. The brakes should big dragging, and hard to turn, but you should still be able to turn them. Pull the handle up two more clicks. The rear brakes should not be locked up tight. If they aren't replace the parking brake, and tighten the parking brake cable about 1/8 of a inch at the adjustment barrel on the rear of the parking brake handle and retest. Keep tightening the cable by 1/8" of a turn until the parking brake drags at 3 clicks, and is locked up tight at five clicks.

The adjustment of the rear brake shoes needs to be checked and adjusted every 4-6 weeks to keep the brakes tight and the brake pedal high.
torro  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it not the earliest models ->77,5 that did not have self adjusting brakes?
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any 924 with 4 bolt suspension does not have self adjusting brake drums. You need to adjust them regularly, it is a beginning of every summer job for me.
gohim  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had drum brakes on my 77 and 81, and was driving them 3K miles a month, I had to adjust the brakes every 3 to 4 weeks.
Stampedetrail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, while we're on the topic, how difficult is it to switch out drums for discs, on say a scale of 1-10?
Ozzie  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Drum rear brakes on a 924 ARE NOT SELF ADJUSTING

Mine are and part 29 in PET is the adjusting arm
It is in my PET on all NA's.
Engineer of Electro/Mechanical Systems Maintenance
gohim  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie, I can tell you that I have never seen self adjusting rear drum brakes on a US market 924. That's on dozens of 924s that I have seen and the two that I have owned.

Perhaps self adjusting brakes were supplies on cars sent to other markets. I know that some people in Europe have reported that they have self -adjusting brakes, but I have never seen it confirmed with photos.
Stu2j  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>>The adjustment of the rear brake shoes needs to be checked and adjusted every 4-6 weeks

O'cmon... that ain't never gonna happen. My brakes get inspected and adjusted (if necessary) on an annual basis as part of the state inspection and I've never had a problem.
Click here to view them:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie wrote:
Quote:
Drum rear brakes on a 924 ARE NOT SELF ADJUSTING

Mine are and part 29 in PET is the adjusting arm
It is in my PET on all NA's.

In North American the 924 was discontinued in 1982, the self adjusters may have been an 83 to 85 upgrade.
Ozzie  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stripped down my rear brakes, the shoes were fine but the cylinders needed overhaul.
I can assure you the adjuster is on my car.
part no 113 609 854
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt it, but don't you have an 84? That was 2 years after they stopped selling them here, the self adjusters may never have been available in N. America.
Ozzie  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pet shows it all models
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be carefull which PET you look at. There is a N. American and Euro version.

In the Euro version, you can see item 29 (part # 113 609 854) in the lower part of the picture, and also cited on the parts list on the second page.

However, in the N. American version, while item 29 still appears in the lower part of the picture, it does not appear on the parts list on the second page.

The top portion of the picture in both versions of PET is the rear brake drum assembly I recognize, with the non-self-adjusting setup. The self-adjusting setup in the lower portion of the both pictures is cited as available on "S" models (obviously not the 924S with the 2.5 litre as they were rear disc). I'm not sure what the "S" refers to in this case. There were some 924S cars in the 2.0 version, they had a few extra options, and I thought the 931 disc brake setup was part of the package, so I am lost as to what "S" means in this case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: