Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

need quick help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for future reference. Do not stick anything into the engine through the spark plug hole. You could scrape a cylinder wall or get the hanger caught.

Take the spark plug out. Put your thumb or finger over the hole. Crank the engine over by hand. You will feel the pressure build in the cylinder. When the pressure begins to fall off you have passed TDC. Turn it over a few times and you will know where TDC is and you can then look at the flywheel window and see the proper mark "0". Easy and no danger of wrecking the engine.

Oh not knocking Lars.... just think this is much safer.

Eric
http://www.geocities.com/eturbo924
larso  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you ever felt a piston or a cylinder wall in your hand...a fork wouldn't even scratch it.
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the side walls of the cylinder?

Safe and easy way is to statically time the car the was I suggested.

Eric.
edd1em  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I dont think anyone should have to take a spark plug out to time the car. What I dont like about the finger over the hole is if youre doing this by yourself, turning over the engine while trying to keep and feel pressure with your thumb could be really fun, with a coat hanger I could see it move.
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you should just be able to look at the flywheel and time it, but if the marks are not legible then it is real easy to do what I suggested. Unless you try it you will not know. I did just to check that the mark I chose was correct. It was easy and I was right on the mark.... at least the 3rd time around

Eric
edd1em  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update
Did the timing, while doing the timing completely screwed up the thread for the belt tensioner pulley. Good thing it screws into the thermostat/engine water intake and can be removed. Removed and fixed. Found that the water pump bearings where shot, the shaft was moving about a half an inch. Got a new water pump for $43, installed (with seal tight), put the timing belt on, went for a test drive and noticed my car running alot smoother, probably due to the alternator pully finaly getting enough tension. Also noticed a river of water running off my engine, it was dark but I dont think the water pump or the thermostat is leaking, since the engine is still dry by those areas. Found one of the CHEAP (why did Porsche have to make such flimsy pressure clamps) broken, hopefully thats the problem, and its a big sucker too, will see in a couple of hours or so.
larso  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Eric, My 931 was easy to time, the marks were a lot easier to make out than a honda and a volvo that i had done t-belts on, i think poor care of the car is what makes them hard to read because of rust, but, my 931 had sat in the snow for ten years before i bought it....

The access and visibilty of the marks was great compared to the cramped honda compartment and the different volvo set up with a pin pointer that had dirt on it so it was hidden, overall i find the 924 compartment a lot less cramped than other cars and simpler to work on. It is after all used in american cars
larso  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d-post

[ This Message was edited by: larso on 2001-08-30 12:28 ]
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lars
I agree that the 924/931 is easy to time once you know what to look for. When I first went to time it the haynes did not say look for numbers. It just said look for markings. What the Fig does that mean? SO I turned and turned and turned the motor. Still did not see anything. Upon closer inspection I could see numbers! Hey that must be it! So I did the static test I spoke of to confirm it and yup that was it. Now that I know what to look for it is easy to time. At least with naked eye. When I use the timing light... can't see a damn thing. I need to go in and paint the numbers so that the light shows some thing when it flashes.

Oh well. Throttle body upgrade first then maybe I will work on that. Also doing brakes, wheels, paint and cold air induction system. Ah the fun

Eric
larso  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the haynes that makes these engines complicated.

0.05 inches=one meter

mark that down.
edd1em  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After breaking one of the big bolts that holds the alternator and water pump to the engine. After messing up the thread for the tensioner pully of the timing belt. And after my cussing language has been extinguished in 2 languages, the car is back on the road, going for a nice night ride. B'bye
edd1em  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for all of your help. It didnt breakdown once!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: