Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

GearBOX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: GearBOX Reply with quote

I want to ask the people who owned or own snail gearboxes and LDS whats the difference between:

Normal ("audi"?!) 5 speed on an 83 euro 924 and that snail gearbox

whats the difference between that snailshail and one with LSD

is there a normal "audi?!" gearbox with LSD ?

when i ask whats the difference i mean tech data....and what effect does a snailshail have on a NA...what does an LSD, besides let you spin like crazy.
Khal  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the only difference you can see between an LSD and non-LSD snailshell is the serial number? That, and when you jack up the rear and spin one rear wheel, the other rear wheel spins in the same direction on an LSD diff. There's some info in the Tech. Section, Chapter 7 - Transaxle.

An LSD (Limited-slip Differential, in case you didn't know) is pretty simple -in terms of effect. You can go to How Stuff Works to see an explanation but:

An LSD effectively "locks-up" the diff so that both wheels get driven with equal force. This goes some way to equalising motive force in a straight line or out of corner, where, with a normal differential, you get the wheel with least load getting the most power.

Simply put, a car with an LSD generally handles better... it "gets its power down" better.

I don't know if the "Audi" gearbox ever came with an LSD.

I'd guess the snailshell is lighter than the "Audi" 'box. And would have different ratios.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the point of the snailshell transaxle was to put the gearbox in front of the diff rather than behind the diff as on the Audi transaxle thereby moving the gearbox weight inside the axles.

If you're looking for Audi transaxles with LSD then look no further than the 944 or 968. Someone can correct me here, wasn't LSD standard on all 944 Turbos (951) and 968s and an option on 944s?

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey finaly a reply....i was begining to feel invisible after my Carrera GT post

snailshell...pardon my terms.

hey that would be great...i have a 944S parts car...i'll be spinning weels tomorow

now what about the fuel economy, ratios...acceleration...anyone that would like to share info about this ?

how would a snailshell affect a 924NA will it accelerate faster slower or what ?
Khal  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
how would a snailshell affect a 924NA will it accelerate faster slower or what ?

From the Tech. Section:

"There are two basic types of Manual transmission, Audi and Porsche based. The 76-78 cars were delivered with a 4-speed transmission of Audi origin. This transmission is fairly robust and common, but not the fastest for the car."

So, the five-speed obviously provides better acceleration than the four-speed. More ratios, so the first four ratios can be lower, I'd guess..? Lower ratios... quicker acceleration!

Does the five-speed "Audi" have lower or higher ratios than the snailshell? I dunno! But that's what'll determine any improvement or otherwise in acceleration.

I still suspect the snailshell would be lighter than the "Audi" 'box. Does anyone know for sure? Even if it is, the difference is probably fairly minimal so unless you're going for an all-out racer, I doubt it'd make too much difference using a slightly lighter gearbox.

Peter_in_AU mentions that the weight in the snailshell is ahead of the rear axle-line, rather than behind as with the "Audi" (four-speed or five-speed or both?). Knowing Porsche, this probably gives some improvement in handling. Although again, whether you'd notice the difference in anything but an all-out racer is debatable.
endwrench  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the Audi box weights but the snail is about 65lbs and is UPS'able

Todd
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 944S i have has no LSD i'm going to try and mesure the weight of the gearbox...just for the sake of the disscusion.
Mikri184  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: trans Reply with quote

Peter:
Quote:
If you're looking for Audi transaxles with LSD then look no further than the 944 or 968. Someone can correct me here, wasn't LSD standard on all 944 Turbos (951) and 968s and an option on 944s?

Just for info reason, replacing the snail shell with an audi trans isnt a direct match up. but can be done, I used an LSD out of a 944 in my 80 931, had to change rear end, turque tube and use the 931 clutch set up.

As for the difference, just ask anyone who has upgraded to an LSD, it is night and day in how the car performs, and has to be the best improvement , you can do to our cars, MHO

Another note, as far as I know LSD was never standard equipement on any 924/944/968, all were an option.
Let alone fitting the 968 tiptronic in a 924 would be a huge task.[/quote]
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSD came as option in even on 951 until 1988, after that, all previous Turbo S (that since 1989 became a simply Turbo) cars, had it as a standard.
951 and S2 optional LSD's will fit to 924 Audi type (016/9) box. Snailshell will require one from 911 (gearbox type 901).
Morghen, your car has usual Audi type gearbox and no snailshell.

Audi-type 5-speed has lower first two gears, you could download a Excel chart from Download area. 931 G31 had even shorter 1st gear (probably in order to compensate off-boost weakness).
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Keaton  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will the 5th gear give it more of a top end??
are the 4 speeds and 5 speeds geared to have the same top end just geared different??
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keaton wrote:
will the 5th gear give it more of a top end??
are the 4 speeds and 5 speeds geared to have the same top end just geared different??

It will, but it requires perfecly healthy engine, otherwise it doesn't have necessary power to achieve maximum speed.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: