Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Lost of taste

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I dont know what Im thinking but Im thinking about buying a (Dare I say The word) Ford Mustang. They are fast and alot cheaper then my porsche. They respond got to bolt on's and all the performance upgrades are cheap and easy to find and put on alot of HP. If you cant beat them join em right?? Please some one change my mind!!!
cs  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think there's really anything wrong with the mustang, my brother has two of them. an 86 and a 2000. the build quality isn't that good on the older ones and there seems to be a lot of warranty work going on with the new ones, but for all out performance, you just about can't beat them for the money. i do have to say that if i were going to get a newer (mid 90s) one i would go with the camaro, 6spd., responds even better to bolt on's, especially intake and exhaust. but that's just my preference.
wdb  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it that you no longer like your 924, or is it a money and reliability issue.if you dont like the car you will eventually sell it. if its the money, repair,and down time.that can be fixed for the same money as a good used mustang,about 4-5 g's. addie the throp has all the parts youll need for the 3.2L rover conversion short of the engine,with instructions,which can be stroked and bored to 5L, 250 HP .I guess the key issue would be are the body,suspension and interior of your 924 in good condition. a used mustang 5000+financing=$7500 the following numbers are guestimates,I do not know what addie charges for his parts and assistance. conversion parts $1500 engine+machining $2500 951 trans and torque tube $1000 = $5000 plus 5 days work. add finance charges if you dont have 5 g's to play with. after the conversion youll have a REBUILT motor,if you buy a used stang you might get an abused car soon to need trans and engine work.924 is lighter and more aerodynamic (better gas milage)seems to me a GOOD car is going to cost you a similar amount.If I had kept all the money I spent on used cars and put it into my very first car,I would now be the proud owner of a street pounding 1967 CHEVY NOVA II.
PS the 3.2L is very popular with the kit car crowd and after market is responding with add-ons cams headers etc.

[ This Message was edited by: wdb on 2001-08-29 04:42 ]
Mike B  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems everyone, or alot of people, have Mustangs...How many people do you know own a Porsche...:wink:

[ This Message was edited by: Mike B on 2001-08-29 10:04 ]
larso  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for one thing, they loook cheapo, the new ones are ok, for performance...handling...

Old ones are good for engine HP, bad for comfort and looks, and of course handling...

If you get a mustang i suggest the new style.
MAS  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you get a really new Mustang (or one that's well modded), you're not going to gain a great deal of highway performance on your old 924S.

Also, (unless you're looking at a new Mustang) the old 5.0 liters are amongst the worst handling cars ever made. Handling and balance-wise, you'll be going from one of the best to one of the worst.

-MAS

[ This Message was edited by: MAS on 2001-08-29 20:00 ]
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed MAS. I've been told the Mustang is based on the Fox chassis, and that this chassis is the same basic design as the Granada. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: