Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924: To Header or Not To Header????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky522  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1981 NA 924, and i have located a header for decent price, Anyone have any experiences they could share with me good or bad? I was told today that the car would run hotter then normal??? Is this true and if so what can i do to counter this??? Thanks Guys I Love this board, everyone is son helpful!!!

Mark
jamez  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put a Bursch header in my car and my car is definately a little bit faster, but my exhaust was really screwed up b4 I put the header in so I'm not sure if my power increase was just from getting my exhaust fixed. Headers will dissapate more heat in the enging compartment and heat things up close to the headers (alternator, sparkplug cables etc.) not sure about making the engine run hotter, mine is alright though. I don't have much experience with porsches, but I'm sure if you are planning on doing any performance mods a header will definately be of value.
larso  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beware that they crack. Not sure if they only crack with heat wraps, but i have heard bad stories about all headers on 924s, MSDS and Bursch. ask around.
Dave  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get the header heat coated
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you get the MSDS Heavy Duty header and have it ceramic coated (they do it ofr $69 I believe) This should allow you to remove the heat shields... saving a bit of weight and making it much easier to install! I have a Bursch header. It was a bitch to install because of the fit with the heat shields. I plan to wrap certain sections and remove the shields. Oh joy.

Anyway if you are going to do some head work this is a good time to do the header. Make sure you hang the header in place before you bolt the head back in. It is much easier if you do it this way... rather than removing engine mounts and such in order to present the header from below.

Eric
http://www.geocities.com/eturbo924
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you KEEP the STOCK HEADER.

Look at the thing...it's almost a header already.

I ported and polished my 924 NA head, put high RPM valve springs in it, and it blew like crazy...never needed a header. In fact, you might find yourself replacing the header more from cracks and fissures if you use an aftermarket piece.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had two headers on my car and they really work especially with a modded engine. Yes, both cracked over time one after 10 years and the other after 5 years. Same brand. I made the mistake of welding the pipes together to cure a clacking.
I am now porting and polishing the stock exhaust manifold and will attach the two pipe down pipe. I plan on splitting the downpipe and put on duals. Each pipe will handle two cylinders. I think it will work just as good and much cheaper.

Vince
Blas Costagli  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Bursch Header on my 924 for 10 years plus now, never had a problem with it. (it's not wraped). I also purchased their total exhaust system a year or two back. There was a minor problem with the tip being shorter than I wanted, that is, not projecting out the back enough to suit me, I called Doug, (at Bursch) and he made me up a new one, a little longer, and shipped it to me...n/c
Yes, it's a little warmer under the hood due to the exhaust shielding that must be removed. Counter it by updating the fan switch for more earlier/cooling, and a cooler thermostat...Red Line Water Wetter also works great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: