Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

'77 924 clutch replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsh  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Is it necessary to replace the pressure plate? Yes, I agree that as long as you are going to spend so much time on your back anyway, it's a good idea to do all you can to see that you don't havve to do it again real soon.

However, is there any way to tell if a pressure plate is worn to a point where it's
replacement is necessary?

Also, C, PP & THB are available a my local auto parts shop for a bit over $400. I think that's too much. Where can I get the best parts price?

Also, the above mentioned parts shop advised that the fly wheel must be turned. Is this true?

Thanks

Marsh
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, turning the flywheel is a good idea; not only for best clutch usage, but also since you can have them turn it excessively to remove some weight (lightening), improving how quickly the engine will rev and effectively adding HP. Cost me $60 to have mine turned.

Do the pressure plate. After 20 years, the chance of a spring finger breaking and preventing proper clutch operation/wear is too high to make it worth it.

OTOH, I'm about to put in a new clutch disk in my racecar after wearing out the old one, which was put in with new pressure plate (full Sachs clutch kit) at the beginning of last season (2000) - blame the bad snailshell trans for the excessive wear. I only plan on replacing the disc, as the flywheel was turned at the beginning of this season and the pressure plate was new and still looked fine at the beginning of this season.

The price does seem a little high... try Paragon (www.paragon-products.com) or Engine Builder's Supply (www.ebs-racing.com) for alternatives... I think mine was around $250 for the full Sachs OEM kit...

Good luck!

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I got the web address for EBS wrong, it's http://www.ebsracing.com

'82 931 Plat. Silver
Mike B  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Vaughan...The majority of labour involved is simply getting to the clutch so you want to do everything you can while you're there...Considering how long a clutch will last the cost of a clutch kit, including the pressure plate, is relatively inexpensive...
ricomartinez  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is outrageous is the cost of the disk. My Performance Prod. catalog says $186 for it. More for the Turbo. Makes the cost of the PP seem small. I talked to a coworker about it who builds hi-po mustangs. He said clutch specialty shops can rebuild the clutch and PP. I know whenever my clutch goes out, I'm talking to them before I go new. I'd do some searches on the internet or check around your town for a rebuilder.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely... I think mine cost around $60...

'82 931 Plat. Silver
Joes924  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeai its worth it to do it all.. just think of the cost if you let some garage do it $$$ skys the limit guys. through the roof fellas.
blowin a gasket mister. smoke from the ears
mister mechanic.think im gonna switch out my tranny soon whines to much.
numbers  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, I am going to disagree with you a little. The question was "is it necessary to replace the pressure plate?" The answer is no, it is not necessary if the pressure plate doesn't have excessive wear or damage. I have had my own mechanics business, and have replaced many clutches over the years, and have never seen a pressure plate fail in a non-race situation. Has your clutch been slipping? If so your pressure plate and flywheel is probably scorched. Has your clutch been grabbing? If so the pressure plate or flywheel may be warped. But if the clutch has been working normally, and there is no indication of scorching on the plate or flywheel, leave them alone. New disk and bearings will work just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: