Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

HAUSBRAUEN Supercharger - UPDATED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Well what is it going to be?
Build it and start selling them already!!!
58%
 58%  [ 24 ]
Keep it to yourself and step away from your tools
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
I want one
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
I don't want one, make mine a double, give me 2
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Drop the Color, I dont want no stinkin' color
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Give me more colors, lots of colors
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
What were you thinking? Just one more thing for me to spend money on thanks alot!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 41

ESC944  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kit as it stands now:
· Smaller unit, easier to fit into “any” engine bay
· Belt configuration currently matches the 944 AC & ALT
· You keep your AC it fits with the ALT and AC you loose your stock air box.
· I have a hard pipe for the intake and AFM, although I prefer a MAF or MAP setup, the average guy only has a AFM.
· I am using my own 5th Injector setup, engages at anything above 2 PSI.
· Running my own alcohol and water injection -- I am overly cautious. So this is my insurance.
· In the past I found the 5th injector is an ample solution
· Tested a FMU as well... interesting configuration, but can be made to work well.
ESC944  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO I AM DOING more than POSTING, that is working and not sitting here at the computer, but lets give you a progress report.
Testing the SC unit on some other configurations as follows:

88 S10 Blazer with 2.8 V6, Tire Burner at a max boost of 3 PSI (Set up for 6, but dumped everything over 3, engine had 103 K and didn’t want to push the limits of my crude setup. But nice increase over stock. Could be refined.

95 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 Tire Burner at 6 PSI. This has potential for some fun, even better I can see this spilling over to the v6 mustang.

90 Dodge Dakota 2.5 Liter inline 4 -- a favorite of mine. Going to get me one of these with an extended cab. Ran at 6 PSI. oh yea she screams… essential same engine in NA trim as the Daytona and other “turbo” FWD dodges… Get a 2.5 Turbo block…. And have some fun.

All these where tested with a Water Injection and a xtra injector. The TBI setup fabricating a Hat (think blow thru) was a pain. But I got-r-done. Lot of work to test this thing, but plenty of volunteers in my neighborhood and from the local track.

I managed to come up with a universal mounting plate that can be drilled for different configurations. Not every configuration, but it certainly makes for a simple setup.

Biggest pain was finding a SC pulley in each case to work with the stock setup and then find a belt in each case that would work… good all around R&D

Each vehicle ran the unit for a few days on their vehicle. I tested the delta gains and used my laptop and its “road dyno” software to test amd record performance increases, also a G-Tech Pro Meter. Man its nice to see something you build work and work well.

Ok so that’s it in a nutshell.

Product has seen limited testing on other vehicles.

With remarkable results, very pleased with what I saw in performance gains and no issues with reliability, despite seriously hot weather and rush hour traffic.

Other items of note, looking at my own MAF conversion to be offered as an option with supercharger. Along with Water Injection, just idle thoughts I guess. Still torn between selling these and just having fun with my setup.

It’s still a hobby for me, which is good cause that keeps it fun. Soon as it becomes all work, well that will certainly kill some of the fun.

Last edited by ESC944 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
roadierfl  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the current status as of August??
ESC944  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no progress till I finish the Clutch as far as the 944 goes.

I have been playing with the SC using a 19 HP B&S motor to drive it. Seen some insane boost depending on ratios.

Basics:
6-8 PSI no problem depending on pulley and max engine rpm.
12 PSI depends on engine and crank pulley size, may or may no require countershaft to get desired ratio.
12+ Internal Gear Drive recommended. Gear drive will support 30 PSI with zero issues.

USING a Counter shaft allows a third ratio in the mix and splits belt loads across more area.

Now of course all this is based on current design parameters and the concept of keeping it small and for smaller displacement engines under 4 liter.

I have played with a carb adapter for a draw thur configuration. Also made one to allow propane carb. Based around this:

Have perfected an affordable water and alcohol injection system and of course a xtra injector setup.

Good news for other makes and models. The generic model will offer a good mounting bracket and few other odds and ends. You will get tech support of course, but if you want a model specific kit, then well I need the car or would need a few orders to make it worth getting that car and making a kit specific to it.

Bottom line people, The supercharger is easy, kits are the real expense and work. Keep that in mind before contacting me.

I know a lot of you are ready for one, thats great, I appreciate the faith and interest. I will get it done. If not for the Wife, Kids, Church, Clutch and my day job, it would already be done.

Oh and no, im not posting pics of the car, the unit installed or the related hardware until im satisfied with it and made it all look good.

To answer some basic questions, On the 944 it's installed in the general location of the stock AIR BOX, you loose that, you keep your AC. The unit sits above the ALT.

A complete kit will include things like a tensioner and different belt.
It will ship configured for 6 PSI.
I will offer a stage II configured for 8 PSI
I may do something with intercoolers.
It starts making boost very low in the RPM range, so you see a power increase across the entire band.

Last edited by ESC944 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
ESC944  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questions & Answers:
Yes I can help you with a other sources of power and boost, no I dont mind.
Yes I will sell just the SC with no kit.
Yes I plan on doing a discount for intial run of superchargers.
Yes I would do a group discount.
No I will not install it for u, You cant afford me and I dont want the headache or liability.
Yes I will talk to your mechanic or u, I will provide tech support.
Yes I do make my own Water Injection setups.
Yes I do my own Nitrous setups and that includes the 924 and 944.
Yes I do my own MAF conversions
Yes I do my own EFI conversion kit.
Yes I do a Individual runner/throttle body setup.
Yes I can provide you with or help you make your own water injection or 5th/Additional fuel injector setup.
No I dont own a shop or retail outlet and NO you cant come by and bug me or snoop around my shop.
Yes if you live locally sometime we can hook up. No you cant look under the hood. Yes when its done, No till then.
Yes you can drive my car if you live local, when its done, till then NO its my car get your own.
Yes I will visit orlando speedway and yes I will run the car down the 1/4.
Yes I would be willing to come to your Dyno when its done, if you pay my expenses (Gas, travel, etc - Florida only).
Yes I will bring the car to some events when she is done and yes I will bring some supercharger kits with me, provided they are some available.
No sorry will not do an install on your car at same show -- liability issues. I Might however do an install on my car if I have another one and can manage that.
Yes I really am that crazy and No Im not very user friendly, warm & fussy or politically correct.

If I missed your question, pm me or email me or post it here.

I use a 6 rib pulley, the 944 like my 84, uses a 5 rib belt. The 6 rib pulley is a common configuration. You can use a 5 rib setup on a 6 rib pulley, the end user can also switch to a 5 rib pulley or install a different Crank Pulley. Lots of option in that arena, all up to the end user. My intention is simply to supply a kit ready to go, I do intend to work with customer to optimize a kit for their application.

My setup uses high-tech modern turbocharger compressor wheel and modern compressor housings for ultra-high efficiency. Not some design from the 60's or 70's.

I use a standardized transmission and different compressor housings I build/tailor units to fit boost and cfm requirements of customer.

Construction is as follows: either a water jet cut or CNC machined transmission case made from 6016-t6 aircraft aluminum, drive shaft, compressor shaft, 6-rib drive pulley, internal drive pulleys, internal belt, etc all assembled and ready to go.

MISC Including, a completed unit

This unit is much smaller than the typical centrifugal units like Vortech, Powerdyne, Paxton, etc. Most cars can mount these where the larger ones simply cant fit.

I am building so far to order and depending on the application I do make some changes to the configuration.

TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER?
My advice is to figure out which is best for you, turbo or supercharger, because either will work and both are proven to make more power in a NA car, than any other add on. Except nitrous… and nitrous well that’s always a gamble, especially if you are pushing enough to have it beat the power a turbo or supercharger will make.

Last edited by ESC944 on Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm; edited 9 times in total
endwrench  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a picture of this bolted to your car.

Todd
ESC944  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not posting complete pictures of the install, especially since the mounting hardware and all that are still in a rough state. Alpha stage:

My choice, may not make everyone happy… but hey that’s the way it goes…

If you wanted to do this yourself without a complete kit, you need a supercharger then just figure out the install brackets, timing and fuel delivery.

So you have a visual on the 944, remove the entire AIR BOX assembly above the alternator, use a bracket setup that supports the supercharger above the ALT, use a serpentine belt with tensioner.

So the supercharger pictures are posted.

Granted its raw and dirty... but it cleans up real nice!

Now if you really want to discuss large boost numbers we can talk Jake/Counter Shaft... which adds a third ratio.

See previous posts for an idea... and believe me this universal prototype moves more than enough CFM.

Last edited by ESC944 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
r3d8  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is truly amazing. Now just need to find a way to get my 924 fixed and rebuild the engine so that it could take one of these without blowing up (currently orginal engine with over 300,000 miles on it). Keep on trucking, you doin good.
ESC944  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ESC944 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mike B  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The ENDUSER just has to figure out the install brackets, timing and fuel delivery.

I think your kit would be more attractive if the brackets, timing and fuel delivery were part of it. I know your project would then peak my interest.
ESC944  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIKE B, You missed the part where I said that I am still finishing the complete kit, what I offered was a universal supercharger and the end user could then adapt it to ANY VEHICLE.

Quote:
As I stated above, I am willing and able to sell prototypes. I am not selling a complete kit yet and as such I am not posting the pictures of the install, especially since the mounting hardware and all that are still in a rough state

This is an on going project.

ALL THAT IS REQUIRED AT THIS POINT IS FINALLY TEST AND TUNE OF THE SUPPORT WARE (FUEL AND TIMING) AND THEN HAVING THE HARDWARE (MOUNTS AND SUCH) MACHINED.

So for anyone who didnt understand, I know my posts are long, its easy to miss stuff.

The supercharger is available for those who want to do their own thing.

The 924/944 kit will be comming soon.

Last edited by ESC944 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
timstar92404  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you do make a complete kit with everything you need, how hard is it to install this kit?

How hard would it be for someone like me that has never done any serious mechanical work?

I'm guessing this involves drilling/cutting/ welding etc?
ESC944  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not speak for your level of skill. Everyone is different. Depends on what you are capable of, but I would imagine that anyone can do it.

If not get with some friends or members and make a day of it.

The design concept is a complete kit you could install in a day or a weekend and a six pack of beer...

No Welding, is a key concept.
That doesnt fit into my idea of plug and play.

Simply put no welding.
No cutting that I can see or imagine.
Drilling is a real possibility, but only from the perspective of mounting support ware, etc.
Ideally I will try to find ways to allow you to mount everything using existing points on the car, etc...

I am constantly trying to improve everything, making it easier and simpler.

I am working hard so you dont have too!

The parts I don't show are all the bits, like brackets, fittings, wiring, hoses. Not overly complicated. My intent is for it to be very simple.

I will say that, you would be looking at installing the brackets, pipes, fittings, and in the case of the 2.0 motor, you are looking at installing a crank pulley to drive the SC. Since using a v-belt is crap for our purposes.

The instructions will be the last thing I do as far as the kit goes, but I will include pictures, etc. Anyone who has read my posts will tell you if nothing else I can write.
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting way to go man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mike B  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: