Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

HAUSBRAUEN Supercharger - UPDATED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Well what is it going to be?
Build it and start selling them already!!!
58%
 58%  [ 24 ]
Keep it to yourself and step away from your tools
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
I want one
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
I don't want one, make mine a double, give me 2
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Drop the Color, I dont want no stinkin' color
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Give me more colors, lots of colors
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
What were you thinking? Just one more thing for me to spend money on thanks alot!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 41

scv8  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very amazing!!

Will it be possible to retain the A/C on a 944 with your design?

Thank you!
ESC944  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should point out that I only used SFR as a Point of Reference, got nothing against those guys. They just happen to be one of the few companies doing a supercharger kit for the 944.

So the fuel and timing should be a piece of cake for low boost levels. -for me that is, if you dont have a clue, then its like making a cake from orange juice.

Base level: Max boost to 6 PSI.
Higher boost levels are possible, but 6 is safe for testing.

5-6 PSI with free flowing exhaust and similar NA Mods.. oh yea more power baby... and for those of you who build a motor that can handle higher boost... well then.. guess I will have to offer higher level boosts.

Last edited by ESC944 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ESC944  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES when I installed it on the test mule, I didnt have to remove the AC. I am not going to get into the details, but as it stands the intent is to keep AC and as tested that is possible.

ALSO WELCOME to the BOARD.

New here eh?
D Hook  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very cool stuff. I'm certain there's plenty of interest in what you're doing. I'm very interested in what the final outcome is and the level of difficulty of the install and accessiblilty of critical components for service once it's in.

Very nice work! I think you've piqued alot of people's interest with this possiblilty.
Mike924  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, ESC,

what I'm still stuggging on is which sort of engine you've got there, the NA 2.0 or the 2.5?

Secondly, how are you getting the fuel in there to match the boost levels?

'There is no substitute for a little grease under your fingernails.' - Chrenan, 924board.org
ESC944  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike the Dyno runs are with the unit installed in a friends 944 (2.5) It's not exactly stock to begin with.

It used my MAF setup, WATER INJECTION and a FIFTH INJECTOR to supply fuel, according to the computer and O2 And onboard dyno (computer application) it was running a little rich, I tweaked the MAF during the testing (manual adjustment of voltage).

The car also features a few other project X items that boosted performance, but I am not going to get into those.
scv8  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, ESC!

I'm very interested. I looked into the Supercharging of Knoxville kit (which retains the A/C by utilizing a bracket that holds both the A/C compressor and the Paxton. $3700 non I/C). He claims 235hp/280tq @ the crank with non I/C with 6-8 PSI. I found the SFR too pricey and doesn't allow A/C.

I really like your concept of the blower and water injection. May I ask where you mounted your h20 inject nozzle? Is it triggered by the MAF?

Keep up the great work!
ESC944  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the weekend up in Orlando, found a place that is perfect to move the family and operations to. Big enough garage, no housing association, monster yard in back for the kids, 8' Privacy fence all around (wood) and even more land on the other side of back yard fence. Looks like I will get my move on weekend after the 4th of July.

scv8 to answer your questions: The H20 injection is mounted just before the throttle body (5" before). A Hobbs Switch tripped it. Not an ideal location, but close, worked just fine.

The MAF configuration I used for testing can be completely tuned, voltage can be varied, etc Ideal for this kind of testing: That is using the stock DME.

Lets talk about fuel delivery for a moment:
2 problems I have always seen with the STOCK 2.5 setup:

1) the use of the AFM -- very restrictive
2) less than optimal fuel Map even for a NA

Now if previous posts I have rambled on and on about the different configurations you can run with success on a DME based setup. Those featured several options.

I firmly believe that another option that should be considered would be a custom Chip along with a MAF conversion. A MAP setup would be even better - but not as easy to adapt to the DME from a cost and DIY perspective. I think someone line Danno over at Guru would be up to the task and certainly have lots of options.

Given two things with the MAF:
1) that it matches the range of the stock AFM
2) that you can extend and tweak the voltage range of the MAF and that it would correspond to an improved fuel map in the DME.

I believe that with alcohol and water injection, the DME, a MAF and custom chip that you could get away with a lot cheaply in the way of boost.

Now if you optimize your car as in make normal NA based performance tweaks you would see even more power from a SC conversion.

Keep in mind power increase from a SC is related to base power, the more base power and the better the engine breaths, the better it will perform and the more power you will NET from a SC conversion.

Provided it is getting the air and fuel it needs for that power.

I have also made progress on the EFI conversion for CIS equipped cars... that will be fun to unleash.

In my case I have gone with a distributor based setup, but could easily go distributor less... provided I wanted to screw with a crank sensor and I don’t. I would rather have a distributor. K.I.S.

Their is just something Righteous about sitting in the front seat and tweaking fuel delivery and spark in real time... any time... on the fly, when ever.

MS will let you do this as well. Well frankly a lot of system will. I am biased toward my setup, but would encourage others to find what works for you.

Last edited by ESC944 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Helstrm  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the move,.. I will be in Orlando at the end of July on Vacation.
ESC944  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea? Disney, Universal? Good place for vacation, I know the area, so let me know if you need anything.
Helstrm  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a time share at Orange Lake Country Club.
ESC944  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea that’s out in Kissimmee, if I remember, not bad. It is a bit of a drive to get to other parts of Orlando with traffic and all that, but excellent for Disney. Universal isn’t to far, if you check online you might be able to catch one of the Old Town Cruises... nice older cars good time all around.

Enough of that... So I have been playing with some "improvements" I am very keen on getting the best I can out of this setup. I am digging the results.

The 2.5 Engine compartment is so much easier for fitting a supercharger, with the absence of CIS.

Fuel delivery and all that with regard to the Supercharger, that’s done, been done, several solutions. The system will work with the stock CIS, like the BAE kits of old. But EFI would be far better. Even without a source of boost EFI would be a big difference over CIS.

I favor water injection setup and additional Fuel Injector configurations as solutions.

Nice thing about the move is access to more workspace. I hate packing, especially the Lab, Workshop and Garage.

Last edited by ESC944 on Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
ESC944  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you want to boost your car eh? Can you handle the power?

If you can, you are looking at a system that will install in the car with minimum fuss, self-contained and durable

Well in the ever-present drive to improve power, response and the general cool factor of boosting these cars I have been working on improvements as I mentioned.

I have been playing with different install options, especially with regard to the cramped space of the 924, With CIS, AC, etc...

I made some changes for test purposes and reduced the overall size, slightly from the initial prototype.

Funny thing is the prototype is near production quality… Probably will find its way on to one of my other non-p cars.

The 924, Some serious field testing of the 924 setup will be forth coming. So hold on to your hats.

Lets get one thing clear, the unit as is near perfect in my opinion.
Yet, I am driven to test other designs.

I can run with one or another, could build them as is or build the modified versions.

What I see is a need to optimize the install on the 924, for not only function and form, but to ensure best performance.

You should be careful in your approach to more power, make sure the engine is up to it.

“The only replacement for displacement: BOOST”

Last edited by ESC944 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
ESC944  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to take a moment to point out that while this supercharger is very capable of making power, you will need to ensure you engine is up to the increased stress.

Simply put, while you might be able to just install it and enjoy it. You are highly encouraged to take into consideration the condition of you engine and vehicle. If its falling apart before boost, this is not going to fix anything.

Keeping with such work as the likes the work that Racing and others have done, there are a lot of possibilities for good rebuilds to these motors.

As Racing has done the VW pistons, or others, the VW Pistons work well. There are certainly many possibilities.

With several options for a low cost quality rebuild or even stroking these engines. You might want to consider these short term or long term.

What you do with your car is your buisness. I would simply like to see you get the most out of it, no matter what you do with it.

Once the unit has been properly tested on a 924 NA, the results will be posted for review.
ESC944  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a while before I post anything more, will be running silent... with the move a priority.

So here is the latest:

I reduced the overall size with the new design. A general reduction in size, means its easier to fit and install. No loss in performance. In fact the results are better than expected.

Made some improvements for internal cooling, increased durability and have improved the belt configuration to reduce slippage. I want to keep it simple and easy.

Work still needs to be done with the 924 NA, with a focus on keeping changes to the belt configuration to a minimum.

I will be focusing in on the 944, the 924 testing will be in the hands of a good friend. This makes for simultaneous development and a quicker finish time for both.

I am looking to do baseline testing on both, using stock engines. This way I can provide everyone with a better idea of what to expect.

Last edited by ESC944 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: