Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

how'd you get here? (o/t)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924guy  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: how'd you get here? (o/t) Reply with quote

just thinking about things a bit, and figured out i had a bit of a progresion which finally led me to porsche cars... and wondering if others just jumped right into them or also "evolved" in them..

I started out with dirt bikes and motorcycles, when i was about 11 years old. Mom made the mistake of telling me "if you can fix it you can keep it" when i asked her about dads old 65 Ducati 100 in pieces in the garage (he never got to finish rebuilding it) .. a month or two later, i had it running, and boy was mom surprised.. never ran well, but good enough for me to throw some knobbys on it, remove the fenders and go dirt biking with.. wish i still had it..

later, a freind was given a 70 vw bug that didnt run and was painted in green latex house paint. we cut a deal and i got it running, and together we sanded and primed it (spray cans) and pin stripped it orange. it didnt look bad considering it was battleship gray. we "split" the car and took turns using it, but we pal'd around so much generally wed just flip a coin to see whod actually drive. it had a three speed "semi" automatic with no clutch, and probably 50 hp..it was great on the beach though and allot of fun, right up until it burnt up when a fuel line rubbed through. there were six of us piled into a the time, but everyone got out okay..

My greatest achievement as a teenager was my 70 Maverick (which came after my 70 torino cobra rust bucket but the cobra engine had been removed and replaced with a standard 351 windsor) . the Maverick had an original hp 302, and with some mods and suspension work, could turn a 13.25 quarter mile on four different branded tires.

ive always felt with a bit more work, it would have gone mid 12's . i supported myself for a bit on that drag racing, and only lost twice. it certainly wasnt pretty, but man it was fast.. in the late 90's i heard a guy was still runing the engine in his drag racer, it wouldnt surprize me if he still is, it was nearly bullet proof..

I moved on to oldsmobiles after that, hot rodding an 80 cutlass by pulling the stock 260 small block v8 and replacing it with an elephant block 72 olds 350 rocket , which i built all by myself after finding the block in a junk yard. But i also over cam'd it and it would lug horribly and i had to idle it at 1500 revs and litteraly stand on the brakes to keep from rolling through stop lights... great car, but over built for the road... then it was stolen and wrecked, i cried ...

i went through bunch of cars in the few years following, eventually ending up in an 84 audi quattro , which i loved. when it hit 250,000 miles, i gave it to my nephew , who drove it another 100,000 or so . it eventually died under the hand of a shoddy back yard mechanic he gave to to replace the clutch.

anyhow, i went though the wind up cars (Bug), the power cars, and then found truly good handling cars (the audi) , and refined my driving and figured out what i really wanted was a car that handled great, yet still had enough power to make it fun, and landed my 78 924 in 95' or so. it was an evolution which brought me to my current 931, and to a point where sometimes, i can even drive it past its limits. but im also expanding those limits and the old 931 is actually improving along with me i think, which is pretty cool... and upon a little reflection, the cars ive owned directly reflected the way my life was going at the time...and i found that pretty interesting...
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1973 Suzuki 125 - First time I went over 40 km/h by myself

1980 Toyota Tercel - First time I went over 100 km/h by myself

1992 Plymouth Laser AWD - First time I went over 220 km/h by myself

2001 Chevy Cavalier - Current Daily Driver (bought new)

1977 Porsche 924 - Parts Car Stripped and Gone

1980 Porsche 924 - Weekend and Evening Driver (seen in its typical pose)

Llamaguy  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first car was an 88 Mercury Tracer, mine was black and a 2 door though

first time I went 100 mph, hehe. Car was great until the transmission went out last month, now it's stuck in front of our house.
My next car is my '87 924S. Guess I was kinda spoiled. But I've paid for it entirely.
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a '69 TR6 our family picked up at the factory in Coventry as a teen, all the way through college. My dad sold it "for me" <HA!!> after I graduated and went in the Army. Bought a '77 924 as soon as I got to Germany in '82, and my ex-wife wrapped it around a pole in '83. Bought my 931 in '84 and still have it. Bought a new 951 in '86 when I got back from Germany but couldn't afford to keep it, and sold it in '91. P cars always fascinated me when I was growing up. I never really got into the 911 series, but the cars that ran Le Mans and the CanAm and CART series always captivated my imagination. The 931 may be my last Por$che, but it's a dream fulfilled.
dpw928  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My line of cars started a little before those that have posted so far. Here goes:

53 Hudson Jet. Paid $50 for it and spent $400 rebuilding motor. Brakes and 6 volt system was terrible.

53 Buick Special 2 door HT. Loved the car but hated the straight eight engine and dynaflow transmission. 0 to 60 times were about 1.5 hours.

65 Rambler Classic. What a POS. The puny 6 cylinder still could overpower the clutch.

62 Vette. Much better. 327 250 HP and an automatic

62 Pontiac Tempest. Nice for a 4 cylinder

65 Plymouth Valiant convertible. 318 engine

61 Austin Healy A-35 van. My f left hand drive vehicle. Had to pay the salvage yard to take it when the engine crapped out.

69 Triumph Spitfire. I also picked this one up from the factory in Coventry.

64 Morris Minor (another left hand drive)

69 Mustang Grande. Hated to get rid of it but by that time I had 4 kids.

73 Ford Galaxy 500 station wagon. Talk about a tank. 6300 lbs empty weight.

80 Monte Carlo SS with 231 V-6 turbo.

80 Porsche 924. Drove it almost daily for 17 years. Had over 300K miles on it when I finally broke down and sold it.

Mercury Capri XR2. Nice little car but the engine was overpowered for the suspension and drivetrain.

78 Porsche 928 euro AT. Bought as a project car and it's still a project car.

78 Porsche 928 5 speed. Became my daily driver 5 years ago when I parked the 924

81 Porsche 931. Bought as a project from Zuffen. Project is complete and alternates daily driver duties with the 928

This list just includes my drivers. Wifes and kids cars go from a 71 Mustang Mach 1 to a 99 Kia Sportage EX with many in between. Won't even mention the grandkids cars.

Dennis
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1974 Fiat X1/9
1970 Plymouth Duster (slant 6)
1981 Chevrolet Chevette
1987 Chevrolet Cavalier
1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo + 1981 Mercury Capri
1998 Saturn SW2 + 1984 Chevrolet Cavalier
2000 GMC Astro + 1990 Mercury Sable
2001 BMW 325i + 2003 Chevrolet Astro
+ 1981 924 NA
+ 1980 928 Euro
+ 1980 931
Khal  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first car was a frog-green '77 BMW 320i (E21). It was a four-on-the-floor rip-snorter! ~125hp with good ol' Bosch K-Jetronic injection. Very light and quick and very good handling -maybe a bit too much oversteer at the limit but bloody good fun!

Unfortunately it ended up a good 4 feet shorter than it should have been after a five car pileup on the freeway. Three of us in the car and we all walked away without a scratch... I love German cars, so safe! If it were a cheap-arse Korean hatchback, we'd have probably been hurt.

Then I got another one 'cause I just loved them so much
This one was even better than the first one! Very nice car but unfortunately I neglected it and it died a rusty death. Eventually sold for parts.

And here she is, the toofah that started it all!

I'm actually sitting in the drivers seat in that photo

My best mate's old man bought this back in about '88 -I was twelve years old. I remember running down the driveway with my mate, drooling over the little silver bullet parked in the driveway. His old man took us for a spin and I was in love, I had to have one!
I'd been a Porsche nut since I was about eight. Me and my mates had stacks of books on 'em and posters on the walls, etc...
This photo was taken in the late '90's. The car was pretty much mint but it had intermittent troubles with head for quite some time.
It was sold, far too cheaply IMHO, only a year or two ago...
WhoDak  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm only 18 so I've got 2 to show, but a story is a story.
My first car is my dad's retired work truck, a '91 Toyota Pickup, SR-5 4x4; Mr reliable/pull your car out of the ravine on ice/get you to work at the ski resort through 12 inches of lake affect snow/get you to work when the 924 is down or it's raining heh. 197k mi and climbing, we'll put another 15k on in the winter. You usually have to try pretty hard to get it to lose grip in 2 wheel-drive with 6 inches of snow on the roads.

My second car is my '82 924 N/A, the not always up and going, but always redeeming. I bought this one over spring break and have been in love with it ever since. This on going project gives me something to tinker with when I can't be snowboarding 4 days a week.

Oddly enough, I was looking for a car over the winter, I was thinking 70's-80's sports car. First I was looking at the old Datsun Z cars with the V-6's. The more I read into them the more they looked to be rust buckets and bigger projects than I was interested in. Then I was just searching ebay one day and thought about a Porsche just to see how much more I'd need to save and dream. After finding this board and getting the 924, I read a comparison article someone posted here with the 240Z?, the 931, RX-7 and Corvette of the time during the 80's and the magazine said their overall pick was the 931. Hah, I remember reading something about the Z car being a bit lacking in the handling.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1950 Studebaker which later I put on a High compression head and dual carbs lowered in the back. Looked like a rocket.
1956 Stude Golden Hawk with a 352 cubic in Packard engine standard
1964 new Triumph most fun car
1969 new 911 Bahama Yellow
1977.5 new 924 still own track car
1979 931 still own
1979 BMW 528
1985.5 944 still own
1987 new Targa still own
1965 Bug Eye Sprite had for 15 years restored for sons never drove it
Many American cars as company cars best was a new 88 Acura coupe. Sold with 220K miles with original engine and tranny. Bought two others for the wife who now has a Honda Civc

Cars owned but never driven 1936 4 door Ford Phaeton and a 1959 MGA.

Almost forgot while in the Army in Germany 1961 I owned a 4 door 170 Mercedes and boy was that nice. Looked like a German Staff car.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
Eturbo924  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy one. It was my first car!

My Father purchased it new in October 1981 and moved onto a 1984 911 Carrera when the 3.2L Carrera bug bit him. So the 924 sat for a year in his mechanics yard for sale. Around the time I turned 15 the car came back and sat in our garage. I worked on it... cleaning it up and polishing away a years worth of sun damage. My father then decided to pass it on to me. It was the cheapest way to get me into an automobile anyway since it was bought and paid for. I just need to work to pay for the maintenance and do much of the work myself.

The car is actually in much better condition now then it was back then. It had 69K hard miles on it from my Father. Now it has 130K or so miles on it and tons of work performed by me and one mechanic that I would trust before I began doing all my own work.

Anyway that is the story

Durring that time I have also owned
Ford Probe
Ford Bronco
Pont. Bone"a"ville
82 Pont firechicken 6 cylinder
Turbo lebaron
Chevy Lumina Euro
Taurus SHO
Saab 900 turbo
Nissan Maxima
and a couple I am sure I missed.
Parts Parts Parts and More parts.
E-mail me for parts you need!
Drive Fast!
Eturbo924  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy one. It was my first car!

My Father purchased it new in October 1981 and moved onto a 1984 911 Carrera when the 3.2L Carrera bug bit him. So the 924 sat for a year in his mechanics yard for sale. Around the time I turned 15 the car came back and sat in our garage. I worked on it... cleaning it up and polishing away a years worth of sun damage. My father then decided to pass it on to me. It was the cheapest way to get me into an automobile anyway since it was bought and paid for. I just need to work to pay for the maintenance and do much of the work myself.

The car is actually in much better condition now then it was back then. It had 69K hard miles on it from my Father. Now it has 130K or so miles on it and tons of work performed by me and one mechanic that I would trust before I began doing all my own work.

Anyway that is the story

Durring that time I have also owned
Ford Probe
Ford Bronco
Pont. Bone"a"ville
82 Pont firechicken 6 cylinder
Turbo lebaron
Chevy Lumina Euro
Taurus SHO
Saab 900 turbo
Nissan Maxima
and a couple I am sure I missed.
Parts Parts Parts and More parts.
E-mail me for parts you need!
Drive Fast!
Codyboy  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound pretty bad but i have only had my license for 2 years since i am only 17. but i have had many cars and trucks

1- 88 daytona turbo sitting in the garage still
2- My 85 924 my summer car and evening driving
3- 96 dodge half ton got stole by natives and smashed up on the reserve
4- 98 ford half ton traded it in on my jeep
5- 2000 Jeep TJ My daily driver and i take it off roading all the time

O yea i am not a drug dealer and my parents didnt by me them I seem to get asked those often. I been working construction for last 3 years and got to auctions for some of them.
augidog  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st car on

72 Chevy Malibu 4 dr (fast)
68 MGB (fun)
My moms used Chevy Caprice. (Big Engine)
My wifes Family Chevy wagon (work car)
66 Karma Ghia (lawnmower)
Chevy Astro Van (work)
My wifes Chevy Berretta (She moved up to a Blazer)
Chevy Lumina (sad)
78 Porsche 924
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: