Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

HAUSBRAUEN Supercharger - UPDATED
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Well what is it going to be?
Build it and start selling them already!!!
58%
 58%  [ 24 ]
Keep it to yourself and step away from your tools
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
I want one
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
I don't want one, make mine a double, give me 2
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Drop the Color, I dont want no stinkin' color
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Give me more colors, lots of colors
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
What were you thinking? Just one more thing for me to spend money on thanks alot!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 41

ESC944  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: HAUSBRAUEN Supercharger - UPDATED Reply with quote

Ok so for those that wanted to know what I have been up to well here take a look:

We Start with something like this:

Last edited by ESC944 on Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:24 am; edited 11 times in total
ESC944  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And We Build Our Own Patent Pending Version of these:

Last edited by ESC944 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
ESC944  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it the prototype looks like this:

Designed for smaller displacement motors, up to 4 liter.
Wide Range of use, more CFM than a 2.0 or 2.5 will ever need.

Last edited by ESC944 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:41 am; edited 2 times in total
ESC944  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Views:

Last edited by ESC944 on Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
ESC944  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs more testing, but it rocks! Ok thats me signing my own tune, but it rocks, Of course I will proably just screw around with my own stuff. I built it to show it could be done.

I hate it when people believe something has to be designed by an engineer, built by a team of experts, and cost a fortune, screw that.

I was going to refrain from posting this, but whatever...

I get the 80 924 from jaxrepo, install the beta test unit and play with pulley sizes.

The ALPHA model yields and easy 5 PSI in the mid RPM range and can make more or less depending on pulley size.....
---->worried about that high compression ratio? Well You could run at 3 psi and just alchy+water injection and you will see an increase in horsepower... how about we make 3 PSI slightly above idle and hold it across the rpm range... or 5 or ....

---->I have another design that works with this one, it initailizes super quick boost at low rpm and then tapers off to hold at max boost across the rest of the RPM range. Just think of it this way... you could move your high HP and torque curve down the rpm range, when say racing or something like it, and when you just driving the device has no effect.

Last edited by ESC944 on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
simsport  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Boost Reply with quote

Hi there, a few questions
What boost might we expect from the supercharger for say a 2.5 ltr at 6500 rpm?...also heat at such levels?
Final one for now, cost?

Cheers
Simon
edh  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one Wes - looking forward to the 924S kit
ESC944  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon,

First I am a fan of your car and your exploits with it. Glad you dropped in to comment!

Let me say this is a prototype, I got a wild hair up my tail pipe and decided to build a better smaller supercharger. Well thanks to my Sons never ending belief that I can make anything in the garage.

Seriously the unit you see (BETA version) I only just made this weekend.

I am not some business... In other words, I built it, but the beta needs testing. I don't even know if I will sell it, too many damn liability issues. Liability is such a major nightmare, get sued because of some idiot, is not on my list of things to do.

I am more into building one off stuff for friends and neighbors, you know non-commercial stuff. Maybe if I sold it as a kit and you assemble it yourself, but even that generates issues... but enough negativity.

Now I will tell you my goal is a power adder that puts the 924 in a position to SPANK a stock 931. That is a 931 in stock trim

In testing I saw 3+ psi in the lower range, 8 in the upper range and vented everything above 8, I did run a few tests and made 12 psi at redline, scary boost levels for my 944. She has run 12 PSI for sustained periods, but that was not with this type of supercharger and not in a totally raw configuration.

Delta rise at 8 PSI was only 70 degrees. Of course this was with a cold air configuration feeding air to the SC from the lower spoiler in front of the 944 and measured as the air comes out of the SC, which is before any water or additional fuel injection or IC effects. I compared incoming air to outgoing air.

COST? Cheaper than anything on the market

The real beauty of my unit is its smaller than the vortech and related units, is low heat, high effeciency and is ALL MINE.

Last edited by ESC944 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ESC944  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C-SC has the capability to make huge boost numbers in the mid to upper range, but I am going to tone it down for the 924, keep it similar to the 944 tests I ran.

Ideally I want to bring on 3-4 psi as close to idle as possible and have it

Last edited by ESC944 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
macBdog  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F*cking brilliant idea. Top work.
I'm still convinced the word 'Porsche' makes people crazy in all kinds of ways
simsport  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Supercharger Reply with quote

Thats great thanks for the info.
My Roots type blower runs at about 12psi at 6500rpm but its difficult to say exactly as I dont have a telltale ...must get one and establish actual highest boost.

The temp increase looks very reasonable...I saw about 90 degrees centigrade this weekend and I suspect it does reach as high as 100, hence my need for a hefty front mount IC. Actual charge temp varies with ambient of course but is safe for a blown motor.

Cost wise the roots units go for about 1200 pounds, say 2000 dollars as a unit on its own. The centrifugal types are similar in price and more and more types are appearing all the time. Seems they are the future.

I have to admire you...so much engineering work done...dont know how you find the time, good to see somebody enjoying the purity of it all though. Keep it up!

Thanks again
Simon
ESC944  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon

I think the only reason I say the delta rise I did, was do to heat soak.

Because with the engine cool, I only saw 45 degrees increase at 8 psi, so If I could ensulate the unit and of course with water alchy injection, can you say almost zero delta rise. At 8 PSI or below.... add an intercooler and alchy with say 8 psi... I doubt you would see anything.

You should email me, I can suggest a lot of ways to super cool your setup.

As for cost, yea I could beat those prices, even if I had to start from scratch, and add a alchy injection setup,5th injector for the CIS and an Intercooler... I would still be under that cost for a complete kit.. assuming I was going to use hard pipes.

I have no idea about sales stuff, but as far as roots or centrifigul, man I just build stuff.

The MAF setup I did heck everything I do, I do on a junkyard budget.

I don't do new usually, Rebuild, refurbished or used and I refurbish. Simple as that.
Paul  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A belt drive like a snowmobile that has decreasing/increasing radius pulleys could be setup to control the rpms of the turbine....
ESC944  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul you make a good point, down side is the belt speed and stress, not to mention drive ratios. I have explored this a little.

I have tested a few configurations in the past and seen belt failure, bearing failure and premature pulley failure. I am testing a few other designs of my own and other configurations from industrial applications and vehicles.

For a moment lets take a compressor size(AR, Compressor housing, impeller/compressor wheel) that yields 20 PSI at 120K impeller speed.

Now you can break that down in stages if you used multiple pulleys and a countershaft. Some configurations that offer varaible pitch/variable ratio pulleys, can yield 18:1 or 20:1 ratios, but again only as strong as the weakest link.

You still have to deal with the HP requirements and belt speeds at one end or the other at each stage... so simple in theory, but applied is something else.

In other words if you have a 1 stage or a 3 stage pulley configuration, you are adding a lot of complication, size and cost. In getting belts, bearings and pulleys that will work properly. All assuming that the bearings, pulleys and pulley tensioner (usually a spring in variable ratio configurations) can withstand it and will allow you to make the boost you want early and then level out. With out binding, failing or eating to much engine HP, killing effeciency.

Goal is to keep it small, cheap and simple.

Last edited by ESC944 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
ESC944  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of airflow a centrifugal delivers (literally blows) increases roughly at a square of its driven speed. It is NOT linear.

So say at 3k rpm it delivers 'Y' airflow. At 6k it now delivers roughly Y^2 or (Y*Y) airflow.

What this means is the airflow of the blower will increase faster then what the engines airflow requires. So no issues with air delivery or boost.

In other words as RPMs increase the boost level will rise.

So I just need to set the blower so that its max boost occurs at redline. This means that at every point below redline the unit will NOT be at maximum boost.

So say you had it set for 8psi at 6500 rpm. Then you can figure that at 3250 rpm (half SC driven speed) you now have the square root of the boost at 6500 rpm... or 2.8 PSI. This will make power, any incease makes power!

Last edited by ESC944 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: