Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

rebuild needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porscheaddiction  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: rebuild needed Reply with quote

I Believe the time has come for an engine rebuild...I unfortunatley now have burning of antifreeze. ...good news tho there is none in the oil at all.
possiblely doing this myself too...ok rebuild parts needed, fill in what im missing..and do let me know if its not required .....all engine seals, new injectors n seals, new water and oil pump, new cam shaft or reground old, new valves, valve springs n adjusters,, all bearings, pistons, piston rings, piston connecting rods, camshaft oil tube, new engine mounts, what else??
Thanks Chris...oh and wheres the best place In Canada to purchase the parts? and on average how much am I looking at for a stock rebuild of an NA engine.?
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just replace the headgasket?
Porscheaddiction  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because I know I need to change the back engine seal its leaking...so if I have to pull the whole engine out of the car shouldnt a rebuild be done?
Thanks Chris.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you really want to, but you dont really have to, you dont even have to pull the engine to replace that seal, but you would have to pull the clutch.
endwrench  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I would find all the parts but not order then pull the engine apart and see what you actually need. You may not need to even bore the block and replace the pistons. The crank may be good too. The oil pumps for these things are expensive so I would definetly take a look at it before condemning. You may just need a freshing up with new seals, gaskets, rings and bearings along with needed head work. Could mean the difference between dropping $400 or $2500. Just don't fool yourself on condition. If it needs it, do it.

You might consider a set of Raceware head studs while your at it.

Todd
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion is that you are wasting your time and money by thinking about replacing the following parts in your list, unless they are damaged/broken or worn beyond serviceability:
oil pump
camshaft
valves (get valve job instead)
valve springs
valve adjusters (unless valves can't be readjusted)
pistons
connecting rods
camshaft oil tube (just clean it out)

See this web page for a list of parts needed for a 931 rebuild. Those parts that only go on the turbo engine are annotated, and everything else will work for the NA motor. The list should be a good starting place at any rate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: